Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open unknown FM table ...?

ron G

This topic is 3884 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM 12 adv.

I need a way to open a user selected file (Filemaker v12) or a way to put that file on the Relationship Graph.

Once the user selects the file, I know and have captured the path and file name in a global variable:  $$Path.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

I think I have to have a Data Source that contains the file to be opened and then examined for the presence of the Source Table. ???

So, I created a variable that holds the file name and 'assumed' that there was a folder on the desktop that holds the file (this would make the path constant)

But it doesn't seem to work.

Here is the 'test' import script.

post-72145-0-82174500-1378510198_thumb.j

Here is the data source:

post-72145-0-90871400-1378510235_thumb.j

And, here is the result:

post-72145-0-25714700-1378510264_thumb.j

Is it possible to do what I am trying ?

I've created a 'testimport' script to see what works.  Am I on the right track?

Here is the script:
post-72145-0-54173400-1378601308_thumb.j

Here is the data source setup:

post-72145-0-09527700-1378601331_thumb.j

... And here is the error message:

post-72145-0-26481600-1378601369_thumb.j

Apparently the Data Source definition does not accept $$Variables.  (Why not?  Import accepts a $$Path variable in knowing where the source file is located)

I am running out of things to try.  The silence from the forum tells me that this is a filemaker problem that no one wants to admit?  Right now it sure looks like it is either incredibly complicated and difficult or there is no Filemaker function that will let me look inside a user defined file without it being on the Relationship Diagram.  And, there is no way to script the addition of a user selected file represented as a $$Variable onto the Relationship Diagram???? Hard to believe.

What might some other reasons be for not responding to your 600th post, in which have already answered your own question (it doesn't work) about a proposal that has such serious and obvious security and data reliability problems?

What might some other reasons be for not responding to your 600th post, in which have already answered your own question (it doesn't work) about a proposal that has such serious and obvious security and data reliability problems?

I don't see how "It doesn't work" is an answer to any question; let alone a technical question.    And, what do you think is the "Proposal" that has such serious and obvious security.... problems?"  I don't remember seeing a proposal.  Are you sure you are replying to the right thread?

I need a way to open a user selected file (Filemaker v12) or a way to put that file on the Relationship Graph.

As you have logically concluded this does not work, at least in the way you are trying. There's lots of good reasons to disallow this approach, not least of which is you couldn't guarantee the fields in the user selected file, nor could you assign relationships to it, therefore no other dependent scripts would work either. FMP has to have an absolute reference to any file for its basic functions to work.

As an alternative you could have a 'generic' file reference, say GENERIC.fmp12 that users could adopt for the name of their target file. Presuming, of course, that their own file was actually a clone or duplicate of an original GENERIC.fmp12 that had been properly defined in the file reference and table graph.

With a nifty bit of storage and scripting you could hold an empty GENERIC.fmp12 (as a container) within your main file that could be exported on demand. The user could rename this for their own purposes and return it back to the original name when they need to re-integrate it back into the main solution.

The silence from the forum tells me that this is a filemaker problem that no one wants to admit? 

You can't be serious?  You've scattered your questions about the same topic on multiple threads and some viable alternatives have been offered (I know I have).  We haven't given you the finished product of course, that is not what these forums are about.  They are about getting you through the learning curve so that you will learn for yourself instead of just being given the solution.

I've told you about different ways you can trigger a script without having a file reference.  And a while ago I've pointed you to a commercial product that does everything for you (refresh.fm).

Scoffing at the community or the product is not going to buy you any favors, we're all here spending our own free time helping everybody along.

You can't be serious?  You've scattered your questions about the same topic on multiple threads and some viable alternatives have been offered (I know I have).  We haven't given you the finished product of course, that is not what these forums are about.  They are about getting you through the learning curve so that you will learn for yourself instead of just being given the solution.

I've told you about different ways you can trigger a script without having a file reference.  And a while ago I've pointed you to a commercial product that does everything for you (refresh.fm).

Scoffing at the community or the product is not going to buy you any favors, we're all here spending our own free time helping everybody along.

I find your accusation that I am 'scoffing' at the community insulting and without foundation.  The reality is that is that since you do not know me, your interpretation and has a *LOT* to do with who you are and very little to do with my question or who I am.  (Isn't it stupid to digress into personal attacks and defenses on a technical forum?).  But, I just posted a question.  Apparently I hit a nerve.  I just wanted an opinion about my question.  I did not intend to start a war.

This topic is 3884 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.