Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using Popovers instead of New Windows

This topic is 3516 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a newbie and  would like to use a a popover in the same way that I have been using windows in the past. I'm confused as to how to do this if the data I need is from a related table/record. Here is an example of a  window that I would rather turn into a popover:

In this the window is a new layout from a related table (That's actually a related table from an "external data source"). It would create a new record based on information from the originating record:

New Window[]

Go to Layout ["Event Details Admin Sui" (SampleEvents)]

Show/Hide Status Area [Hide]

Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [sampleEvents::Event ID; Get(ScriptParameter)]

Perform Find[]

Set WIndow Title [Current Window; New Title: SampleEvents::Zulu Summary]

Set Variable [$from_suical; Value:1]

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!

Hi guywithpipe,

Unlike a new window, a popover is basically an integral part of the current layout, and is thus tied to the same TO, record, mode, etc, as the rest of the layout (much like the panels in a tab control are all part of the same layout).  You can, of course, include related fields or a portal, in the same way you could place those items on the main part of the layout, but that won't help with your scenario.  What you can't do is show a different layout, record, or context in the popover, nor can you switch the popover into Find mode independently of the layout as a whole.  

That said, if you want to use a popover for new record creation, one thing you could experiment with is placing global fields on the popover and scripting the creation of the new record based on input into those — just a thought.  One issue you'll need to deal with in that approach is that the popover can be closed by any click/tap outside of the popover, so you'll need to somehow trap that event and decide what to do from there.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Guy, and welcome to the forum,

I'm a newbie and  would like to use a a popover ...

Please update your profile to reflect your current information for Platform, OS, and version of FileMaker. Here is a quick link to do this. MY PROFILE.

the best way to create records in other tables is to have a global text field CREATE and it is linked on the graph with allow create records turned on to any other table's UID field. in a script first set the CREATE field to Get ( UUID ) then sent any of the related fields with other data - like a time stamp or the foreign key from the record you are on, you instantly create  a related record. in the popover you can have the related fields based on this current relationship for user entry. Then include a script trigger when closing the popover to clear the CREATE global field.

• Like 1

Check out the Invoices starter solution in FM13 for great examples of Select>New routines. Very much needed for iOS and I'm starting to use them within Desktop interfaces as well.

I think it'll replace my trusted Popup Window with List, QuickFind and New button.

• 1 month later...

Hello , Im replying to this post because I'm using the Invoices fm13 and the customers popover and its ease of use for picking customers on iPad etc.

I have 3500 customers so having to scroll through them on the iPad to find what i wanted was a pain. 

I have a few other layouts that would need to use this function also and this is where my problem is.

When i connect this NEW relation to the customers popover and copy the same as the invoices it works brilliant.

I tried service first and all was well. 

Then when i add the spot welding this seemed to work also. Brilliant.

PROBLEM. if i change the name in service it also changes the name in spot welding.

Can anyone suggest please.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

post-110131-0-52383100-1393578696_thumb.

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

the best way to create records in other tables is to have a global text field CREATE and it is linked on the graph with allow create records turned on to any other table's UID field. in a script first set the CREATE field to Get ( UUID ) then sent any of the related fields with other data - like a time stamp or the foreign key from the record you are on, you instantly create  a related record. in the popover you can have the related fields based on this current relationship for user entry. Then include a script trigger when closing the popover to clear the CREATE global field.

Hello,

could you explain a bit more this method or upload a demo ? I´ve always created new records from related TO of the layout, but now i want to create records from one portal to a non related portal located in a different layout.

thanks,

This topic is 3516 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.