Sign in to follow this  
Elkpodemiami

Runtime Solution based on Licenses

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this is not the place to post my question but I've searched for a section for this topic but I couldn't familiarize it anywhere.

I was currently hired to create a solution for a company that would like to sell the solution to people/ companies, they want to have a licensing system where people will buy let's say 1 license / 10 licenses / 50 licenses / etc.

What are the steps I should take to build a system that will be secure to validate licenses bought, what is required to do this transition, what I need in order to perform this task.

For now all I know is that I should have another server hosting licenses with their own system to manage them, but I would like to hear more inputs since I'm 100% sure there are a lot of different solutions to this and better ways.

Thank you very much in advance.

I would echo the post above -- have a look at the topics in Shrink Wrap Solution Developers.

Keep in mind that runtimes cannot network. They can however use plugins, the web viewer, and Insert From URL.

Thanks for replying,

Maybe I didn't explain myself better, what I'm looking for is help or at least ideas of how I can successfully come out with the right solution.

What are the requirements in order to make this type of application work?

What recommendations could be suggested in order for me to dig into it a little bit more.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Did you look at some of the forum topics? There are a number of them that offer various possible solutions.

For example: you'll generate a code that's tied to the user's hardware. You'll have the user email the code or submit it via a web form. You send back a code that is generated by the user's code, so it's unique to each machine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lutfishah
      Dear All,
      I am trying to put a conditional formatting validation which turns Red when the value is entered wrong. Basically all my tries have failed so I would like your help here.
      The criteria of entering a value is 
      xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
      1111-2222-3333-4444
      1. Length of value is  = 19     OR      this should be a 16 digit number, in groups of 4 separated with dashes
      2. Non-Digits characters are not valid.
      Please could you help me with this and I will really appreciate. 
      Many thanks
      Regards
      Lutfi

• By Peterteneldas
      Hello, everyone, here’s my latest question. I hope this is the proper area to post it.
      I’m creating a flat-file movie database to keep track of where my movies are in my home. I added a serial number field, which gives me a running total of how many movies are in my collection.
      But I think I need something different, and am requesting help for creating it. I have several duplicate movies in my collection, and I don’t want the duplicates included in any total count of my movies. At least, not in my forms or reports. I don’t care if duplicates get serial numbers, and I don’t care if the count in the toolbar (i.e. 516 unsorted) counts them all. I understand that the serial numbers and toolbar count are for “records.” But I want a total count of my movies, excluding duplicates.
      What I’ve done is create a checkbox for duplicates. If the box is checked, then of course, the movie is a duplicate. Is it possible to create a field that has a running count of the movies in my collection, EXCLUDING the duplicates? If it is possible, what is the procedure from omitting them from any such subtotal, summary, or running total?
      Thank you! PT
    • By MSPJ
      I wasn't sure how to title this question, but here's my question:
      I have a software protection solution for my runtime product - I use Eleckey from Sciensoft.  The basic licensing function works as an EXE wrapper. and I have that implemented fine, integrates with my software seller and my self-hosted activation server. All good.
      However, advanced features (such as being able to activate specific features) require adding code to the solution - they support several languages, including C#, VB.NET, VC.NET, VB, VC++, Delphi, and C++ Builder.  I'm trying to figure out if there's any way a filemaker runtime could communicate with an external program built using one of these.  In other words, if I could build a separate application that incorporated the advanced license code, is there some way a runtime could talk to it - as an alternative to actually incorporating that code in the filemaker solution itself.
      Even better would be some kind of plugin that let me incorporate that code directly in the solution in some way - but I haven't come across anything like that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
      Michael
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a question about hosting my filemaker database. If I buy a license for 5 people form here: https://store.filemaker.com/filemaker-cloud , will I also need to purchase 5 normal FileMaker 16 Pro Client licenses so people can actually connect to the database? I don't quite understand how this works yet, maybe someone can help me out. Do I get the client licenses with the purchase of a server license? I need 5 people to be able to access it. Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Peter Wagemans
      Hi people,
      A customer is complaining about his FileMaker Pro 16 application acting up: when brought back from the background, the application requires the address of the server, even when the customer is actually logged in to the server. The customer took a screen shot of this, and the application window is clearly visible behind the nagging dialog.
      Clearly again a FileMaker problem, but I'm not going that way anymore, since I have to make a living as well. I was just wondering what could be done to avoid the disconnect, and on reconnect, how to help FileMaker a bit reconnecting.
      The first thing I was wondering about, was App Nap. There's a FileMaker help article here: using-filemaker-networking-on-mac-os-x-with-app-nap-enabled but the last edit is in 2015 and it covers only until 2013. The second google link FMP v14 and App Napp on the FileMaker Community web site seems to confirm that it is still an issue in v14. Why did FileMaker stop editing the article then? Apple has removed the check box option from the "Get Info" window of the application, one way of enabling/disabling it today is to use the excellent Onyx freeware application. But that switches App Nap system wide, not on application level. I'm wondering if it should be off or on, the customer uses the latest MacBook with Sierra.
      The second thing is the password linking mechanism that seems broken as well on reconnect. You open File A, file A needs file B and FileMaker internally passes the credentials used to open File A, to open File B. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to happen on reconnect, and FileMaker asks for the password of File B, with no option to save the password, although this option is set in the file preferences. I made the customer open File B directly, and save the password to the keychain. At least this *should* lessen the annoyances he is facing today.
      Does anybody have any insights to add here?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

2 members have viewed this topic:
    Dave Carmean  totoleheros 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.