Sign in to follow this  
tuyayenz

File Path / Image Mapping / Batch Importing image files into FileMaker Database

Hi,

I'm trying to import images into my FileMaker database. My problem is:

How can I import all my images at once and automatically match or store it based on the value in the Container in the field? For example:

I have 5 images located/stored in the same folder of my FileMaker database: 11111.jpg , 22222.jpg , 33333.jpg , 44444.jpg , 55555.jpg

**NOTE THAT FILENAMES CAN ALSO BE ANY RANDOM NAMES LIKE 36745.JPG , 76935.JPG , 36790.JPG , ETC.**

-In my FileMaker database, I have PRODUCTS Table.
-In my PRODUCTS Table, I have PHOTO Field Name.
-My PHOTO Field Type is "Container" -- not 'Text' or 'Calculation'.
-My Container Values are: 11111.jpg , 22222.jpg , 33333.jpg , 44444.jpg , 55555.jpg --> So that makes 5 rows right?

What I want to do is, import all those 5 images from my folder into my FileMaker database while FileMaker will automatically search for its matching value in the database. Once FileMaker found its matching value/filename, it will place the image in that container.

Basically, it will be like this: FILENAME = VALUE (IF 11111.jpg = 11111.jpg THEN place that image in that container)

I want to know how to do this because I know it will save a lot of time when importing hundreds, thousand or even hundred-thousand files.

I hope my explanation to my problem is very clear to you.

Your help will be highly appreciated! :hug:

Thank You very much in advance. :) :hug:

For starters are the images in one directory on your computer? or are they in different directories?

if you have a known filename and a known file path to the files you can create a calculation that  derives the path to the files and then write a script that loops thru the records to insert the image into a container field.

The other option is - Import Records > Folder... then choose the path to directory of images and import them then once the files are in a record you can do any matching between records in another table. 

In some cases i have done a hybrid approach where i only import the filename and file path into a table then loop thru the found set and omit any thing that is not a .jpg or .pdf (depending on your needs ) then loop thru the set of sanitized records and import the file into the container. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dkey
      My FMP pro 15 doesn't allow to import ".avi" and ".mkv" files.
      The error is the files are not the specified file type
      How to do so?
    • By cat traveller
      Hi everyone,
      I am trying to run a server sided script that will import a found set. The server sided script opens a handler file that opens data file 1, does the find, imports into data file 2. 
      However, the search works in script debugger but imports all records. 
      The script opens layout A, searches goes to layout b, imports. Also the import of the selected fields seems not be remembered. I am stuck.....

Thank you 
    • By Joost Miltenburg
      Hi!

using FM18v3 I defined an import, update using key with option :add remaining. 
      Odd enough, when running the import for the first time, the key field remains empty. (Unexpected)
      As a result the second time I run the script I get new records, but now the keyfieldfield is filled. (Expected) The third time the import also runs as expected ( no new records ).
      I fixed this by defining this script in FM18 using an if. Eventually, I launched FM17 and re-did the script. Now it works like it should. 

Anyone else can replicate this?

Kind regards,
    • By nsdodgers
      Hello, I have a number field where I want the user to be able to enter things like:
      42 (only item 42) 12+82 (only items 12 and 82) 1-5 (items 1 through 5) 31,33,35,37 (only items 31,33,35,37) So I am need of a way for filemaker to deal with the operators '+' '-' and ','
      Do you have any advice on how I can separate out the item numbers?
      Thanks!
    • By stuee
      Hi, in the same table i have 3 fields.
      Name   (this is the drop down of names)
      Timecompleted
      Datecompleted

I want to have so when a person selects their name in the drop down to complete this task that the current time stamp is filled in.
      I cant seem to get it to do that but ideally i would like just one field with timestamp   15:30  21/02/2019

I also have about 50 tasks which people can do so hoping a more simple way instead of a fll script for each one.

Hope that made sense

Cheers
  • Who Viewed the Topic

10 members have viewed this topic:
    tbcomputerguy  sfpx  NateJames  Ocean West  fishtech  NLR  BruceR  Lee Smith  Jesse Barnum  doughemi 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.