Sign in to follow this  
SarahS

Runtime Engine Upgrade

I have a Mac runtime solution that multiple people around the world are using.  It was originally created using 13.0.5.  Some users tried running it on El Capitan and rightly got error messages that files were missing as it is not compatible with 10.11.  I created a new runtime of the same files that were distributed using 14.0.4 and tested simply replacing the runtime engine file only (& none of the data/interface files).  The solution seems to run perfectly on El Capitan with this runtime engine upgrade.  I see this the same as upgrading the FileMaker Pro application version, and no changes need to be made to the .fmp12 files.  Am I making a bad assumption if I simply have the users replace the runtime engine file (& none of the other files) to be compatible with Yosemite?

That sounds about right. I'm not sure about manually replacing files for your end users. It may be easier to create a new installer for them, as there may be other things that need to happen like updating OS registry and such.

Mike

Thank you for your response Mike.  I really need to learn more about building installers for both the Mac & PC platforms.  Do you have any suggestions regarding where to learn or what installers work best for both platforms?  Several users have manually replaced the runtime engine and it is working fine, so hopefully it truly is this time...  I will study up for next time.

Honestly it has been a few years since I had to use one, and that was for PC only. The Mac installer is a little easier, since you basically take what the developer utilities give you and put it on a disk image with a readme file. There are some utilities to help with this as well, if you like. On the PC side, you can just zip the runtime folder if you are comfortable walking clients through how to install it, but if you want a full fledged installer, there are several out there that will work.

Mike

I'm embarrassed to discover I never acknowledged your response - thank you very much for your suggestions & help.  I currently use Actual Installer for the PC platform (but I think there are probably others equally as good) and a zip file for Mac platform.  I can't seem to get a .dmg file to upload or download properly from my website for the Mac platform.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blaze
      I have a runtime solution that was created in FMP 12. This no longer works on High Sierra or Mojave. 
      My iMac just gave up the ghost , but Mojave would not have run on that machine anyway.
      So Instead of sinking money into a new Mac, I am looking to see if there is anyone here on the forum that I could hire to render the runtime for Mojave (from the previous fmp12 file), do a simple runthrough to verify that everything works well and then create an installer package/DMG to get me (and my customers) back up and running. Thanks for your time and consideration!on in this matter

• By JC007
      Runtime Solution.
      Hi all
      I haver created a FileMaker 16 pro advanced database and now need to distribute it.  I have successfully created the runtime solution and all is well on my iMac.  I have tried to send this to my friend (who doesn't have FileMaker) and when he tries to open the .app file, he gets an error message :-
      "The Primary File cannot be found and is required for this application".
      The structure of the files I have sent him look like this :-
      Runtime Folder
      .app
      .fmpur
      Extension Folder 
      FMP acknowledgements
      He can then goto the folder and click the .fmpur file and it opens sucessfully.  This has to be completed every time.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      JC007
    • By pomilpetan
      Good morning everyone I created a database runtime solution with FileMaker Pro 15 advanced. The program must export the contents of a form in PDF format. In a solution that runs under FileMaker I could use the command "Save as PDF" but this command does not work in a runtime solution. Could someone tell me how I could make this function? thank you so much.
    • By MSPJ
      Hi - I'm considering upgrading from FMP 14 to FMP 16.  However, my solution depends on a distributed runtime for a commercial solution.  It appears that API improvements are not available in the runtime.  I'm wondering if the window control (cards) and overall windows interface are at least available in the runtime - otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much point in upgrading for me.
      Thanks,
      Michael 
    • By capsprojectos
      Hello,

I have more than 10k executable files, each EXE export data to a single table, inside of an unique MySQL.

I created a FM database to manage all data (ODBC), but I didn’t solve how to trigger a script from an external EXE, without looping for new data each minute.

Questions:
      #01: There is way to trigger a script in an open database, without looping ?

#02: Runtime solutions can be used with parameters?
      My best idea, at this time, is to create a runtime solution and a relationship, and call it from the EXE.  I do think is a "stupid idea" and there must be clever solutions out there.

Thanks for all

INFO: I am using windows 10 | FM Pro 15

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.