is it possible to Get text from PDF for parse

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am creating a database solution that needs to read the text from a pdf in a container field and put it into another calculation or field for parsing. I have read many articles and can't seem to find a solution to something that a simple Mac Automator Action can do. I have done this in Filemaker for Mac (not Go) via AppleScripts.

I need to do this native to Filemaker without plugins or external scripts  as this will end up being on Filemaker Go  residing on the tablet/phone.

Is this possible?

Edited by schmegol

Not reliably, no. Is there any consistency in where you get the PDFs from? I have has issue with certain fonts and character sets, even when using plugins. MBS has a PDF lib available that will extract the text out of PDFs. Perhaps this could be run server side, by inserting the PDF into a container field of a hosted solution, and then running a "Perform Script on Server" step to get the text and update the record for the Go user? Or does this need to entirely run offline? Another option could be interacting with a web based service, even if it is backended with FM server, but that would also assume some kind of web connectivity.

Mike

Right now, it needs to be run entirely on the Ipad Fielmaker Go platform and not server. The PDF's do have consistency as I can do the parsing in Filemaker pro with AppleScript. I have the solution working on the desktop and now I need it to work in the field on the iPad. But no luck with getting the text from the pdf.

2 hours ago, comment said:

What would the unreliable way be?

Here's a possibility, but would require some php on a server...

a. pass the PDF off to a php script using Base64Encode, using Insert from URL script step.

b. parse the PDF with php, using something like http://www.pdfparser.org/

c. return the text back to the user as the result of the insert from URL step.

So it wouldn't need FM Server, but a web server. I'm not sure if that would be of help, but thought I'd mention it.

Mike

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.