Can you dock the Inspector Window(s)?

This topic is 2915 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Call me spoiled, but I am used to having all (or at least most) of my configuration and info windows open whether I am writing code, editing photos or whatever which makes me much more productive. Monitors, especially the ubiquitous multi-monitor setups now a days, have tons of screen real estate so why not (I have 3 monitors one of which is a 39" 4K.) 

So much data can lead to problems getting everything setup where you want it and keeping it there. Docking is a major help in that. Each application gets its space and you only have to move it - all docked or otherwise attached windows come along for the ride. 

If FM truly does not have docking it is the only program that does not have any docking capability, at least I have encountered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On March 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Brad Mathews said:

Call me spoiled, but I am used to having all (or at least most) of my configuration and info windows open whether I am writing code, editing photos or whatever which makes me much more productive. Monitors, especially the ubiquitous multi-monitor setups now a days, have tons of screen real estate so why not (I have 3 monitors one of which is a 39" 4K.) 

So much data can lead to problems getting everything setup where you want it and keeping it there. Docking is a major help in that. Each application gets its space and you only have to move it - all docked or otherwise attached windows come along for the ride. 

If FM truly does not have docking it is the only program that does not have any docking capability, at least I have encountered.

Brad I agree with you 100%. I use C4D and Adobe suite and with those apps have a myriad of docked palettes spread across 3 monitors. It's a great way to work...You can see settings with a glance and change things more quickly. 

I may be confused about what each of you mean. It doesn't seem like you are talking about the same thing. But maybe it's just me. ( and it probably is )

@Brad Mathews in the sense you are describe so that the windows are semi-connected, the answer is no. No docking.

@FoggyMt With FM you can have 3 inspector windows open. I place them side by side on one monitor. And I do the layout work and scripting/calcs in the other window. The palettes are not docked. Though, for most applications that do dock them...I usually undock them so I can put them where I want. 

The whole thing is likely a personal preference. I'd like to have the choice. That would be nice. Did you submit a feature request in the Product Ideas space? https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/product-ideas/content?start=20

On March 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Josh Ormond said:

I may be confused about what each of you mean. It doesn't seem like you are talking about the same thing. But maybe it's just me. ( and it probably is )

@Brad Mathews in the sense you are describe so that the windows are semi-connected, the answer is no. No docking.

@FoggyMt With FM you can have 3 inspector windows open. I place them side by side on one monitor. And I do the layout work and scripting/calcs in the other window. The palettes are not docked. Though, for most applications that do dock them...I usually undock them so I can put them where I want. 

The whole thing is likely a personal preference. I'd like to have the choice. That would be nice. Did you submit a feature request in the Product Ideas space? https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/product-ideas/content?start=20

Josh....I've done the same thing at times (keep 3 inspector windows open). But FileMaker's palettes management is not nearly as sophisticated as other programs I use (c4d, after effects, photoshop) where you can save exact window/palette settings and locations.

Edited by FoggyMt

This topic is 2915 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.