Sign in to follow this  
Brad Mathews

Can you dock the Inspector Window(s)?

This topic is 1517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why not just use the keyboard combinations?

Control + I on Win Opens and closes the Inspector.

Call me spoiled, but I am used to having all (or at least most) of my configuration and info windows open whether I am writing code, editing photos or whatever which makes me much more productive. Monitors, especially the ubiquitous multi-monitor setups now a days, have tons of screen real estate so why not (I have 3 monitors one of which is a 39" 4K.) 

So much data can lead to problems getting everything setup where you want it and keeping it there. Docking is a major help in that. Each application gets its space and you only have to move it - all docked or otherwise attached windows come along for the ride. 

If FM truly does not have docking it is the only program that does not have any docking capability, at least I have encountered.

• Like 1

On March 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Brad Mathews said:

Call me spoiled, but I am used to having all (or at least most) of my configuration and info windows open whether I am writing code, editing photos or whatever which makes me much more productive. Monitors, especially the ubiquitous multi-monitor setups now a days, have tons of screen real estate so why not (I have 3 monitors one of which is a 39" 4K.) 

So much data can lead to problems getting everything setup where you want it and keeping it there. Docking is a major help in that. Each application gets its space and you only have to move it - all docked or otherwise attached windows come along for the ride. 

If FM truly does not have docking it is the only program that does not have any docking capability, at least I have encountered.

Brad I agree with you 100%. I use C4D and Adobe suite and with those apps have a myriad of docked palettes spread across 3 monitors. It's a great way to work...You can see settings with a glance and change things more quickly. 

I may be confused about what each of you mean. It doesn't seem like you are talking about the same thing. But maybe it's just me. ( and it probably is )

@Brad Mathews in the sense you are describe so that the windows are semi-connected, the answer is no. No docking.

@FoggyMt With FM you can have 3 inspector windows open. I place them side by side on one monitor. And I do the layout work and scripting/calcs in the other window. The palettes are not docked. Though, for most applications that do dock them...I usually undock them so I can put them where I want. 

The whole thing is likely a personal preference. I'd like to have the choice. That would be nice. Did you submit a feature request in the Product Ideas space? https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/product-ideas/content?start=20

On March 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Josh Ormond said:

I may be confused about what each of you mean. It doesn't seem like you are talking about the same thing. But maybe it's just me. ( and it probably is )

@Brad Mathews in the sense you are describe so that the windows are semi-connected, the answer is no. No docking.

@FoggyMt With FM you can have 3 inspector windows open. I place them side by side on one monitor. And I do the layout work and scripting/calcs in the other window. The palettes are not docked. Though, for most applications that do dock them...I usually undock them so I can put them where I want. 

The whole thing is likely a personal preference. I'd like to have the choice. That would be nice. Did you submit a feature request in the Product Ideas space? https://community.filemaker.com/community/discussions/product-ideas/content?start=20

Josh....I've done the same thing at times (keep 3 inspector windows open). But FileMaker's palettes management is not nearly as sophisticated as other programs I use (c4d, after effects, photoshop) where you can save exact window/palette settings and locations.

Edited by FoggyMt

This topic is 1517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By NewBoard
      I have used the combination of ExecuteSQL and ValueCount quite a few times throughout my databases before, with almost no issues. Generally what I will do is set a variable by running an ExecuteSQL, then take a ValueCount of that variable. Then with that ValueCount I will loop through my original ExecuteSQL variable.
      However, I am now trying to do something different with this combination. Instead of using the ValueCount variable for a loop, I'm trying to use it as a Global Variable that will be displayed on the main menu. Here is an example of the code I'm trying to use:
      Set Variable [$source; Value: ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT UUID FROM Inspections WHERE Inspector = ? AND Accepted ≠ Accepted" ; "" ; "" ; $$fullName )] Set Variable [$$accepted; Value: ValueCount ( $source )] The UUID field is, as expected, an auto-entered "Get ( UUID )" field. The Inspection table is a table containing all of our part inspections. Each inspection begins with it's Accepted field having a value of "Rejected", if the correct parameters are met this field will become "Accepted". The Inspector field contains the first and last name of whomever conducted the part inspection. The $$fullName variable is set previously in this same script by comparing the user's Username to a Table that contains all of our user's Usernames and Full Names.
      What I was hoping to do is use a Merge Variable on our main menu that displays our $$accepted variable, showing the user how many unaccepted inspections from that particular user in our database.
      However, it only ever displays a value of "1". One of our users has 6 unaccepted inspections in our database currently, but this script only shows that he has 1.
      I am wondering if you can't use Merge Variables or ExecuteSQL in this way, or if I'm simply missing something obvious.
      Please let me know of any more information I should provide. Thank you for any assistance you may offer!
    • By Siva D
      After the latest update 16.0.2.205, Inspector is not working properly on two checkboxes. I see it on Browse and Snap to Grid check boxes. When I click on the checkbox, it won't refresh immediately. I have to switch to other tab and get back. Then only it refreshes. If I continuously click few times, entire Inspector window becomes empty. Sometimes few clicks and sometimes many clicks. Then I have to restart the FileMaker to get back the Inspector.
      Another issue happened on 16.0.1 itself was position values are not updating dynamically when I move the objects either by mouse or arrow keys. I have to click outside the object and click again to know the new position.  On V15 and before, it was dynamically updating.
      I tried both in-app update and complete re-install. Issue persists.

• By jaygamel
      for some reason my portal field has stopped showing the scroll bar and will not create new records, but alters the last record, effectively wiping it out. This is hell on the billing, since these are essentially purchase orders. I have scroll checked in the portal layout box, but no joy. When I invoke the inspector, the appearance and position tabs work fine, but EVERYTHING in the data tab is grayed out and I cannot check the scoll bar function there, or any other box. Adding to the mystery, when I duplicated the layout and replaced the portal with a new one, the scoll bar reappears, but as soon as i revert to Browse mode, the layout goes back to the original, dysfunctional layout and portal and WILL NOT allow me to change to the duplicate layout with the working portal (visible scroll bar) (a new name and everything.) I have named the portal as an object on the original layout and invoke it first with my script. basical open object, go to last line, set several fields, etc. no conditional formatting, just filter for latest seven records and sort ascending. Maybe I have to call it something else on the duplicate?
      FMA 11, OSX 11.6. Files too big to post. Menu set to standard.
    • By David McQueen
      Finally getting a chance to play with fmp12.

in Inspector, position, I used to have the choice of inches, centimeters or pixels. In fmp12 the default choices are inches, centimeters and what I assume are points.

Are pixels gone?

I am guessing they probably are because of retina displays doubling up on the resolution, but I would like to know for sure.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.