Scripting different import table targets

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am scripting the import of data into some 400 tables already established. I have the corresponding 400 seperate data files (excel cvs). The script step "import" doesn't seem to allow the selection of the "current table specified by the layout" as a target. I goto the different layouts right before the import but the import does not change to the table that is used by that layout. When writing the script I do select the "Current Table "mytable" " as the target, thinking that this would change during execution. Nope it don't. Soo,

1) Can I have a dynamic selection during script execution of target table for data imports.

2) How does FM select the table when doing an import. It seems that the choice is very explicit.

3) Recommendations on other ways to accomplish the task.

Cheers

23 minutes ago, rkowolik said:

1) Can I have a dynamic selection during script execution of target table for data imports.

2) How does FM select the table when doing an import. It seems that the choice is very explicit.

The target table is hard-wired into the Import Records[] script step (as is the field mapping) and cannot be determined dynamically at runtime (other than by user intervening via the import dialog).

23 minutes ago, rkowolik said:

3) Recommendations on other ways to accomplish the task.

I suspect you should not have 400 tables.

Edited by comment

• Newbies

OK thanks for the reinforcing what I saw. Ha yea on the tables (its actually down from 1400) but I'm doing a data migration from one ERP system (MAPICS) with 20 yrs of historical data to another (proAlpha) so the schemas were designed by others. So far FileMaker has supported me very well except for this.

On 26 March, 2016 at 9:55 PM, comment said:

How would you select the target table at runtime anyway? Perhaps you could cook something up with AppleScript.

That should be fully achievable using FQL

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.