The PHP connection to the FMServer_Sample database failed (Error 22)

This topic is 2714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope I get everything right.

I've done a search already, but I can not find my issue listed. Sorry if it's been covered before.

OK, here goes.....

VMWare Server running on HP Prolient G7 tin

2 Virtual Cores

4Gb RAM

Windows Server 2012 R2 DataCenter x64

IIS v8.5 (Default for 2012 R2)

FileMaker Server 12

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced with Bonjour

JRE v7

This is a brand new build specificity for this use.

I've installed FileMaker Server 12 on to the above setup with Custom Web Publishing using PHP I followed the deployment wizard and deployed for a single machine setup.

I allowed FMS to install the provided version of PHP with it's own configuration.

There is NO SSL configuration on the server at present.

The admin console shows three green ticks to indicate that everything is happy.

However, when I run the PHP Custom Web Publishing Test, I get the page displayed correctly, (PHP is working) and it identifies the name of the server, but below the main information box, I get the following error message:

The PHP connection to the FMServer_Sample database failed.

The PHP test was not able to communicate with the Web Publishing Engine. Make sure you have PHP publishing enabled and the database has the fmphp extended privilege enabled. (Error 22; Unknown error)

The sample database is installed and it is listed in the admin console, status, normal and dots across the line. I can't imagine that it wasn't installed with the correct Extended Privileges for CWP and I would not be 100% confident to know what I should check for.

I am viewing the CWP Test webpage on both the server and a client and getting the same error message.

Can anyone suggest any further areas that I should be looking at?

Cheers in advance,

Barry.

2 Virtual Cores

That is not enough for a decent server that has to do both FMS and CWP.  Not knowing anything about your solution but I would go with 8 cores at least.

The RAM is also marginal for a 2-role machine.

Do the 3 green dots still show up after a reboot of the machine?

Did the installation create a deployment.log file?  Check that one to see if there are any errors.

After the reboot, also check the event.log in the FMS logs folder.

Wim,

Cheers for the reply.

I've shut the server down to add some more cores to it. 

Now 8 cores and 8Gb Ram.

On all restarts, all three ticks have been green.

Here is a copy of the original deployment log:

START DEPLOYMENT

Step 1: Save settings:
Save administrative configuration settings                  succeeded
Step 2: Configure Web Publishing Engine (WPE):
Update WPE deployment configuration                         succeeded
Update mDNS service info                                    succeeded
Step 3: Configure web server:
Update FileMaker PHP ini file                               succeeded
Create PHP ini registry entries                             succeeded
Add PHP path to PATH environment variable                   succeeded
Create PHPRC environment variable                           succeeded
Uninstall FileMaker PHP Module                              succeeded
Backup fcgiext.ini                                          C:WindowsSystem32inetsrvfcgiext.ini (The system cannot find the file specified)
Add PHP extension to IIS                                    succeeded
Set PHP instance max requests to 10000                      succeeded
Set PHP activity timeout to 600                             succeeded
Set PHP request timeout to 600                              succeeded
Set PHP PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS to 10000                      succeeded
Update FileMaker API PHP setting: : $__FM_CONFIG['locale'] = 'en'; succeeded
Restart web server                                          succeeded
Step 4: Configure Database server (DBS):
Set WPE Authorization Info                                  succeeded
Set XDBC AutoStart to yes                                   succeeded
Update XDBC deployment configuration                        succeeded
Start XDBC                                                  succeeded
Step 5: Configure AdminServer:
Save WPE deployment settings                                succeeded
Save web server deployment settings                         succeeded
Save DBS deployment settings                                succeeded
Start WPE                                                   succeeded
Reindex log files                                           succeeded

Deployment completed at 18/12/14 16:17

The event log did error for lack of Bonjour, which I have now installed.
No other errors listed.

Looks like the cores / ram have not made any difference as I am still getting the same error on the CWP test page.
I have tried connecting with 127.0.0.1, Network IP address from client and DNS name of site. All get the same result.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers.

The other obvious thing of course is that R2 is not supported, do you have a standard 2012 that you can work with or a 2008R2?

Correction: FMS12 is not supported on 2012 at all so it looks like you need to get a 2008 box:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5677/kw/2012%20R2

• 3 weeks later...

Wim,

Thanks for the link.

I guess '2008 or higher' doesn't really mean higher!

I've dropped the server to 2012 Standard and upgraded FMS to v13.

Followed all the installation instructions and setup the admin console.

However, I am still getting exactly the same error when trying to connect to the sample database!!

I allowed the FMS installer to install Java and PHP to make sure all the right versions were used.

The Event log contains no error messages.

My new deployment log is as follows:

Deployment started at 07/01/15 09:20
---------------------------------
SETUP: PRECONFIGURE WEB SERVER

Create IIS backup                                           succeeded
Check to make sure FMI web site exists                      succeeded
Create app fmi-test                                         succeeded

START DEPLOYMENT

Step 1: Save settings:
Save administrative configuration settings                  succeeded
Step 2: Configure Web Publishing Engine (WPE):
Stop WPE                                                    succeeded
Configuring JWPC memory                                     succeeded
Set WPE AutoStart to enabled                                succeeded
Add JVM Route to JWPC Server XML file                       succeeded
Create CWPC prefs file                                      succeeded
Update JWPC prefs file                                      succeeded
Update mDNS service info                                    succeeded
Step 3: Configure web server:
Check to make sure FMI web site exists                      succeeded
Create worker properties file                               succeeded
Enable proxy for Application Request Routing                succeeded
Create Application Request Routing rules for Help           succeeded
Create Application Request Routing rule for Web Publishing  succeeded
Create Application Request Routing rule for Web Publishing  succeeded
Create Application Request Routing action for Web Publishing succeeded
Create Application Request Routing match for Web Publishing succeeded
Create Application Request Routing rules for Help           succeeded
Update FileMaker API PHP setting: : $__FM_CONFIG['hostspec'] = 'http://127.0.0.1';succeeded
Add PHP extension to IIS                                    succeeded
Set PHP PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS to 10000                      succeeded
Create PHPRC environment variable                           succeeded
Add fastCGI handler                                         succeeded
Add PHP IsapiCgiRestriction                                 succeeded
Set PHP instance max requests to 10000                      succeeded
Update FileMaker PHP ini file                               succeeded
Update FileMaker API PHP setting: : $__FM_CONFIG['locale'] = 'en'; succeeded
Step 4: Configure Database server (DBS):
Set WPE Authorization Info                                  succeeded
Set XDBC AutoStart to yes                                   succeeded
Update XDBC deployment configuration                        succeeded
Step 5: Configure AdminServer:
Save WPE deployment settings                                succeeded
Save web server deployment settings                         succeeded
Save DBS deployment settings                                succeeded

Deployment completed at 07/01/15 09:21

------------------------------------------------------------

(I would show you a screen shot of the admin console status, but I can't find a way to upload a picture to the forum.)

Any ideas are most welcomed.

Cheers,

Barry.

Noted that the Admin Console for FMS 13.05 has an issue.

In the configuration sections of the admin console, I have enabled WebDirect, PHP & XML, but the Status screen shows all three of them as disabled and there is no green tick on the Web Server section of the Status screen.

I can not find a way to correct this issue and I am unable to locate any errors in any of the logs.

Any thoughts would be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Barry.

If the web publishing engine can not start, there is a entry for it in at least one of the logs and more often than not, there will be a clue there.

There are some specific web publishing logs, but the main FMS event log will say whether the WPE could be started, what does it say?

According to the event log, there are no warnings or errors.

The last time i started the server the Web Publishing Engine started, with log code 703, at 10:37 am this morning and has no record of it having stopped.

Maybe I need to explain my issue a bit better. The Status page has a green tick next to the Web Publishing Engine, although it shows the WebDirect as disabled.

The box above the WPE is the Web Server, which has no green tick, but a grey circle. This box shows both PHP and XML as disabled.

The config pages for WebDirect, PHP and XML all show these services as enabled.

The PHP language is installed correctly and working as the fmi-test/phptest.php page displays without any PHP errors, but does show the error 22, unable to connect to sample database.

The admin console does show that it is sharing the sample database and that it has got the correct permissions enabled for WebDirect, PHP and XML.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

OK, let's see if I can get this to work.

Status.jpg shows the view of the FMS Status screen.

WebPub.jpg shows the view of the config setup page for PHP.

As you can see from the Status.jpg, the WPE has a green tick, however the Web Server box above has a grey circle and shows PHP as disabled.

The WebPub.jpg shows that PHP has been enabled.

Thus my confusion.

post-112567-0-83792300-1420732251_thumb.

post-112567-0-88707000-1420732320_thumb.

phptest.jpg shows the error 22 message that I am getting on the phptest.php page.

This also shows that PHP is working as the server is displaying a PHP page with no coding errors.

sampledb.jpg shows that the sample database is registered with the FMS and that it has all the correct permissions applied to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

post-112567-0-32873300-1420732947_thumb.

post-112567-0-03668000-1420732951_thumb.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Wim,

We are facing the same issue since more than three weeks. We have tried out every possible step to fix it, but no luck.  We are trying to deploy PHP web publishing on Windows server 2012 R2 machine. We have checked the deployment part along with PHP installation multiple times. Everything is in place for PHP web publishing to work without any issue, but still, while viewing fmi-test from IIS throws below error.

The PHP test was not able to communicate with the Web Publishing Engine. Make sure you have PHP publishing enabled and the database has the fmphp extended privilege enabled. (Error 22; Unknown error)

Adding few snapshots for reference. In your post, you mentioned that FM12 is not supported on Windows Server 2012 R2. However, the link says that FM server 11 is also not supported on Windows server 2012. Does this mean, we don't have any work around to enable PHP web publishing on Windows Server 2012 R2? It is not possible for us to get a new box/machine at the moment. Can you please help us to address this situation? We have already setup everything on our Windows Server 2012 R2 box, now only PHP webpublishing part is holding us down. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Pravin S

FMS Deployment Overview.jpg

FMServer_Sample Database Hosting Status.jpg

PHP Webpublishing Error.jpg

Edited by Pravin S
Adding snapshots.

31 minutes ago, Pravin S said:

Hi Wim,

Adding few snapshots for reference. In your post, you mentioned that FM12 is not supported on Windows Server 2012 R2. However, the link says that FM server 11 is also not supported on Windows server 2012. Does this mean, we don't have any work around to enable PHP web publishing on Windows Server 2012 R2? It is not possible for us to get a new box/machine at the moment. Can you please help us to address this situation? We have already setup everything on our Windows Server 2012 R2 box, now only PHP webpublishing part is holding us down. Your help is deeply appreciated.

I'm sorry but I can't help you out here.  FMS11 is definitely not supported on Windows Server 2012R2.  If you had it running on an older machine I would strongly suggest going back to that older machine.

21 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

I'm sorry but I can't help you out here.  FMS11 is definitely not supported on Windows Server 2012R2.  If you had it running on an older machine I would strongly suggest going back to that older machine.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response. The filemaker hosting works perfectly fine Windows Server 2012 R2. Its just the FM web publishing part which is not working. Does this mean that the FM web publishing is the only piece which is not supported on Windows Server 2012 R2?

Thanks,

Pravin S

Who knows... it is not worth the time to try and figure it out in my opinion.  I would strongly suggest upgrading to a version of FM that is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2, or downgrading the OS to one that is guaranteed to work with FMS11.

16 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Who knows... it is not worth the time to try and figure it out in my opinion.  I would strongly suggest upgrading to a version of FM that is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2, or downgrading the OS to one that is guaranteed to work with FMS11.

Hi Wim,

I respect your opinion, but it is not a single machine which can be downgraded. We have so many clients having win server 2012 R2 and we cannot ask all of them to downgrade their OS. This is the reason why we are spending time to figure out a solution for this situation. I have seen FM web publishing working on so many 64 bit OS, I can't accept the fact that it doesn't work on win server 2012 R2. There is some component on win server 2012 R2 which is blocking or not allowing fmwpc.exe to communicate with FM DB. I tried to print the error from $impl_data variable of phptest.php file. This is what it returned.

FileMaker_Error Object ( [_fm] => FileMaker_Implementation Object ( [V73ee434e] => Array ( [charset] => UTF-8 [locale] => en [logLevel] => 3 [hostspec] => http://127.0.0.1 [recordClass] => FileMaker_Record [prevalidate] => [database] => FMServer_Sample ) [Vea4b3413] => [V9a3dcbce] => ) [error_message_prefix] => [mode] => 1 [level] => 1024

=> 22 [message] => Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 - This can be due to an invalid username or password, or if the FMPHP privilege is not enabled for that user. [userinfo] => [backtrace] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [file] => C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\FileMaker\Error.php [line] => 50 [function] => PEAR_Error [class] => PEAR_Error [object] => FileMaker_Error Object *RECURSION* [type] => -> [args] => Array ( [0] => Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 - This can be due to an invalid username or password, or if the FMPHP privilege is not enabled for that user. [1] => 22 ) ) [1] => Array ( [file] => C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\FileMaker\Implementation\FileMakerImpl.php [line] => 358 [function] => FileMaker_Error [class] => FileMaker_Error [object] => FileMaker_Error Object *RECURSION* [type] => -> [args] => Array ( [0] => FileMaker_Implementation Object ( [V73ee434e] => Array ( [charset] => UTF-8 [locale] => en [logLevel] => 3 [hostspec] => http://127.0.0.1 [recordClass] => FileMaker_Record [prevalidate] => [database] => FMServer_Sample ) [Vea4b3413] => [V9a3dcbce] => ) [1] => Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 - This can be due to an invalid username or password, or if the FMPHP privilege is not enabled for that user. [2] => 22 ) ) [2] => Array ( [file] => C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\FileMaker\Implementation\Command\FindAllImpl.php [line] => 15 [function] => _execute [class] => FileMaker_Implementation [object] => FileMaker_Implementation Object ( [V73ee434e] => Array ( [charset] => UTF-8 [locale] => en [logLevel] => 3 [hostspec] => http://127.0.0.1 [recordClass] => FileMaker_Record [prevalidate] => [database] => FMServer_Sample ) [Vea4b3413] => [V9a3dcbce] => ) [type] => -> [args] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [-db] => FMServer_Sample [-lay] => English_List_View [-findall] => 1 ) ) ) [3] => Array ( [file] => C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\FileMaker\Command.php [line] => 126 [function] => execute [class] => FileMaker_Command_FindAll_Implementation [object] => FileMaker_Command_FindAll_Implementation Object ( [_findCriteria] => Array ( ) [Vd65662c5] => Array ( ) [Va9136a07] => Array ( ) [Vf951bdce] => [V83f28691] => [V85fd701e] => [V6da136ea] => [V568aa2ec] => [_fm] => FileMaker_Implementation Object ( [V73ee434e] => Array ( [charset] => UTF-8 [locale] => en [logLevel] => 3 [hostspec] => http://127.0.0.1 [recordClass] => FileMaker_Record [prevalidate] => [database] => FMServer_Sample ) [Vea4b3413] => [V9a3dcbce] => ) [_layout] => English_List_View [V7a2db0ea] => [_script] => [_scriptParams] => [_preReqScript] => [_preReqScriptParams] => [_preSortScript] => [_preSortScriptParams] => [V0b9a204c] => FileMaker_Record [_recordId] => ) [type] => -> [args] => Array ( ) ) [4] => Array ( [file] => C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\web-server-support\test\fmi-test\phptest.php [line] => 83 [function] => execute [class] => FileMaker_Command [object] => FileMaker_Command_FindAll Object ( [_impl] => FileMaker_Command_FindAll_Implementation Object ( [_findCriteria] => Array ( ) [Vd65662c5] => Array ( ) [Va9136a07] => Array ( ) [Vf951bdce] => [V83f28691] => [V85fd701e] => [V6da136ea] => [V568aa2ec] => [_fm] => FileMaker_Implementation Object ( [V73ee434e] => Array ( [charset] => UTF-8 [locale] => en [logLevel] => 3 [hostspec] => http://127.0.0.1 [recordClass] => FileMaker_Record [prevalidate] => [database] => FMServer_Sample ) [Vea4b3413] => [V9a3dcbce] => ) [_layout] => English_List_View [V7a2db0ea] => [_script] => [_scriptParams] => [_preReqScript] => [_preReqScriptParams] => [_preSortScript] => [_preSortScriptParams] => [V0b9a204c] => FileMaker_Record [_recordId] => ) ) [type] => -> [args] => Array ( ) ) ) [callback] => )

Pravin S

It looks like you have PHP installed, but the Web Publishing Engine might not be working. Have you tried to test that directly without going through PHP?

At any rate, this is still an unsupported configuration and may not ever work, regardless if there are other 64 bit OS's that will. It has to support the system that it is running on, including all the pieces that go with it.

Hi Mike,

The FM web publishing is running successfully as all the components under FMS admin console are checked as green. I am trying to open fmi-test from IIS which is throwing below error.

How can I directly test web publishing without going through PHP?

Pravin S

I'm guessing the WPE is not installed and running correctly. That could be because this is an unsupported version of Windows for this version of FMS. You could try to run the deployment wizard again or re-installing, but it may not work.

Hi Mike,

I have re-deployed WF webpublishing multiple times on same machine but it still didn't work. The WPE is working perfectly fine as it shows a green check under below snapshot. I have also made sure the compatibility settings for all filemaker server components exes are setup correctly.

Pravin S

FMS Deployment Overview.jpg

14 hours ago, Pravin S said:

I got a weird response.

You got that directly from a web browser?

6 hours ago, Pravin S said:

The WPE is working perfectly fine

It's demonstrably not working correctly, as it fails to process the requests.

I've been down this path - FMS11 and Windows Server 2012 do not play nicely together. It's an unsupported configuration (as FMS 11 came out well before WinServer2012 was even thought of) and will only cause issues. This one is obvious, there may be others that are less obvious but have ramifications down the track

FMS11 is also now not supported by FileMaker (they support 3 versions at once, currently 15, 14 and 13)

Either run FMS11 on a supported server OS, or upgrade to a supported version of FMS

9 hours ago, webko said:

You got that directly from a web browser?

It's demonstrably not working correctly, as it fails to process the requests.

I've been down this path - FMS11 and Windows Server 2012 do not play nicely together. It's an unsupported configuration (as FMS 11 came out well before WinServer2012 was even thought of) and will only cause issues. This one is obvious, there may be others that are less obvious but have ramifications down the track

FMS11 is also now not supported by FileMaker (they support 3 versions at once, currently 15, 14 and 13)

Either run FMS11 on a supported server OS, or upgrade to a supported version of FMS

Thanks for providing detailed explanation. We tried every possible step to fix the issue, but every time we ended up in scratching our heads. Have you seen any setup where FMS 11 web publishing is working perfectly fine on windows server 2012?

Pravin S

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2016 at 11:06 AM, Pravin S said:

Great news! We are waiting eagerly to get the solution for this problem.

Pravin S

On 10/28/2016 at 9:01 AM, Kwin said:

Hey Pravin,

I think we got a solution for you. Lets have a cup of coffee this weekend and work this out.

Kwin

Yay! This is resolved. Thanks a ton Kwin for the resolution. Interested people can directly contact Kwin to get the resolution.

Pravin S

• Newbies

Yay! This is resolved. Thanks a ton Kwin for the resolution. Interested people can directly contact Kwin to get the resolution.

Pravin S

On 10/28/2016 at 11:06 AM, Pravin S said:

Great news! We are waiting eagerly to get the solution for this problem.

Pravin S

Pravin S

It was great working with you Pravin. Happy to get you going with this.

Kwin.

This topic is 2714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.