CICT

Scribe ScribeDocSubstitute Errors - A solution

3 posts in this topic

I hope this helps anyone that has had to put up with the ScribeDocSubstitute errors when no placeholder string could be found in a document - a problem that has had both us and our clients pulling our hair out.

The 360Works Scribe help page - http://docs.360works.com/index.php/Scribe#No_occurrences_of_.5Bplaceholder_string.5D_were_found_in_the_document -  offers a solution of retyping an entire placeholder due to the XML creating a split string. We've been doing this, but at times it just doesn't work and we've never seen any evidence in the XML of a split happening.

However, today we hit a eureka moment and believe the main problem is not split strings, but the use of Tracking under the Review menu in Word. With this switched on there are hidden occurrences of the placeholders in the XML that are referenced by ScribeDocSubstitute. We have had documents where the placeholder(s) has been typed, retyped and typed again (etc.)  but could not get around the error (we have a check that runs whenever we upload a Word template to FileMaker container fields, therefore documents that generate these errors are not allowed into the database). However, we've now been able to clear all errors within a file without retyping a single placeholder as follows:

open the file generating the errors in Word, click Review, click on the arrow beside/below Accept, select Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking, save the file  and test

We've been putting up with the placeholder problems since we started using Scribe and hope this helps people avoid the pain we've been through.

Andy - salefaith.com

Word Review.jpg

Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting this! If you turn "Track Changes" completely off without choosing "Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking" do you get the same results? Of note, we made some improvements to this function in Scribe 2. Are you using Scribe 2 or Scribe 1?

It has been a while since we posted the above. However, in case this helps anyone who comes across this post, I can't emphasise enough how good Scribe 2.15 is in resolving this issue.

Literally frustrated customers to happy customers.

Well done guys.

Andy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By menno
      When updating any 360works-plug-in it is deactivated after any update. Sometimes it does not even is replaced.
      I have created batch-scripts to shut off FileMaker and then remove any 360works-plug-in.
      After that my user(s) have to restart the application again and the new version of (any) 360works plug-in is installed correctly and activated automatically.
      I also use other plug-ins by Troi, Dacons en Goya simultaniously and these work perfectly fine and also will be updated and activated when a newer version is being installed. Only the 360works-plug-ins fail to update everytime.
      I use the script-step "Install plug-in file" so nothing exotic is done there.
      The problems occur on windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 2008 and 2012. On the 32 and 64 bits versions (2012 - 64-bit only)
      Any suggestions or anyone else has the same trouble?
    • By Bartek
      Hi There,
      First of all many thanks to creators for amaizng plugin.
      What is the syntax for inserting images to excel?
      ScribeDocWriteValue ( “addImage()”; image ; page ; x location ; y location ; height ; width ) 
      Do not work for xlsx with error about invalid cell name (first parameter is function adn for excel it seams it is not recognized) for pdf works fine as in demo expample
      I tried standard syntax for excel where first parameter is table cell and second is image in container but it do not insert the image.
      Any suggestions?
      Thanks in advance.
      Bart
    • By cchaski
      I am using Scribe to extract text from a pdf. The pdf has a filesize of 705542 so it is fairly large. The Scribe result is fairly good but it has a serious problem: a space is inserted into words; see example of words like NE W YORK AND NEW JERSEY, airp orts, Inte rnational, Internat ional
      Why does Scribe do this? Is there a way to fix it? (It is close to a dealbreaker if you can extract text but then not use the text that's extracted)
      Many thanks in advance for your replies, as I certainly hope I can use Scribe since I've used 360Works products for years and Textractor before Scribe.
      Carole

• By mikedr
      I've seen the following issue with two forms. 
      If the field in the PDF document that you want to replace has a parenthesis in it, ScribeDocWriteValue returns an error.
      For example, in the attached PDF, there's a form entitled, "A petition for an extension of time under 37CFR 1.136 (a)". 
      I believe that the problem is that acrofields are delimited by using parentheses.  The way to include a parenthesis in text is to using back slash ("\") before the parenthesis, but this doesn't work.
      Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a way around it?  I'm about 99% certain that there is a bug in the plug-in at this point.
      PTOAIA31.pdf
    • By KevinMortimer
      I am trying to get the new feature of inserting an image into word document. I am using the following format below but the result produces the filepath to the image in the container not the image itself

ScribeDocSubstitute("[placeholder]" ; myTable::myContainer ) Result looks like this
      remote:7onwjqa8uf.jpgsize:461,64PNGf:Secure/98/C6/B9742F96/C1E5C3E5/2E9E6584/6695