Sign in to follow this  
Julio J

Tabs In List View

Hello,

I am fairly new to FileMaker and I have designed an Inventory Management DB. In one of my layouts, I have a list of the current inventory. The layout is configured as a List View layout. I have 2 Groups of multiple tabs which show details of the item being viewed. 

One thing I have noticed is when I switch tabs on the selected record, ALL of the tabs in the list also switch.

e.g. If I have 3 Tabs: Info, Details, and Notes

If I switch to the Details Tab, the rest of the records in the list view also switch to the Details Tab.

Is there a way to make sure that only the record I am viewing in the List View switches tabs?

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers.

45 minutes ago, Julio J said:

Is there a way to make sure that only the record I am viewing in the List View switches tabs?

No, the selected tab is a property of the layout, not of any specific record.

2 hours ago, comment said:

No, the selected tab is a property of the layout, not of any specific record.

Thank you for your response.

Hi Julio,

You might consider popovers in the row - one for Info, Details and Notes.  Popovers will respect the record of the row in which it resides.

I should mention however, that it might make more sense to have a 'go to detail' button in the row and present all information in a form layout, which is pretty standard.  You can have tabs there - or popovers - or even portals.  :wink3:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By sal88
      Hi all
      I've switched from the 360works scriptmaster plugin to baseelements for sending emails. Since then, subject lines that contain spaces have tabs in as well. The tabs are not necessarily in place of the spaces, as subjects with many spaces have just the one tab.
      In subjects with just one space however, the tab replaces that space. I hope the picture shows what I'm experiencing.
      The header of the email contains the following:
      Subject: spaceatfortiethcharacterspaceatfortieth
          characterspaceatfortiethcharacterspaceatfortiethcharacterspaceatfortiethcharacter
      So it appears as though it may be adding a carriage return?

Any ideas?

I've just double checked that it is OK with 360works and it is indeed! The only difference I can think of in the way the plugin talks to our exchange server is that BE requires there be no credentials but 360 requires credentials.

• By wedgeman
      I sometimes use a trick in Conditional Formatting to give fast hints in form views..
      i'll place a merge field (name of field, or helpful hint) BEHIND the actual form, then will format the field to have a clear/no backcground, using a calculation of "IsEmpty(Table::FieldName) - to trigger it..
      So if the field is empty, the hint is visible, but if there is any value in it, the hint disappears.  See screenshot below..

The problem is that this falls apart in List View.. active fields work.. inactive don't.. what ca I do?

• By BCA
      I have a database that keeps track of computer system information. I have a record for each system (one per room). Within this system there are a number of different computer devices and I want to track settings such as IP addresses subnet masks and other network type information.
      I have a table called “Systems” and I’m using tabs to separate the different devices within a system. Within each separate tab do I need to create a unique field for each piece of information or is there a more efficient way to do this? For example:
      the first field would be device one IP address
      the second field would be device one subnet mask
      The third field would be device one preferred DNS
      The fourth field would be device one IP address
      The fifth field would be device one subnet mask
      The sixth field would be device one preferred DNS
      Etc.
      Seems like I’m missing something and there might be a more efficient way. Thank you for any help.
    • By Rook183
      I have a frustrating problem. Is there someone out there who can advise me.
      I have a set of records in which a table is an important element. The table draws content from related records. In the regular Filemaker viewer, it is in a portal. However, I need to make the data available on a print layout in Webdirect.
      The table might vary from 1 row up to about 20, depending on the record.
      I have tried several methods of getting the data onto the layout but have a conflict as follows:
      If I aggregate the table in a field before brining it into the layout, it elegantly merges into the layout, pushing the text that follows up or down depending on the number of rows. It previews and prints beautifully via Filemaker interfaces, BUT on Web Direct, the text tabbing fall down and the table alignment is destroyed.
      Alternatively, I can set up a merge container for every possible table entry and lock them into columns, but then the height of the table does not shrink – even when there is no data in the table and the text that follows remains locked well below the tables – especially when there are only a few rows.
      In brief, the first solution seems the most elegant, but I need some way to control the tabs in the browser so that the table aligns properly.
      Is there any advice someone can give me?

Ping file images of the same table (the good one in Filemaker viewers and the bad one in Web Direct, are attached.

• By benmort81
      Hello,
      I am using Windows OS for my solution.  I have a layout in list view showing events. An admin user is to add groups of people as attendees of these events by pressing a button to run a script.  The script Freezes the window, changes layout, adds the attendees in the relevant table and returns the user to the original layout.
      This all works well, except for when the script returns to the original layout and unfreezes the window, the scroll position of the active row (the record that the user is editing) jumps to the bottom of the screen.  I would like the scroll position to remain static or be returned to where it was before the script changes the layout - so a change is imperceptible to the user.
      The Window Scroll options seem limited to top, bottom, pg up, pg down.  I have also tried having the script open a new window before changing the layout, but you then see the script working - if only briefly - as the new window comes to the front.
      Has anybody got any suggestions on how I can return the scroll position to exactly where it was before the script executes?
      Thanks in advance,
      Ben
  • Who Viewed the Topic

9 members have viewed this topic:
    H  melmitts707  Steve Martino  Lee Smith  doughemi  dpwilton  fmsavey  BruceR  Spidey 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.