Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export single records with field as filename with variable

dkey

This topic is 2280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm surte this is quite a simple task ... for someone expert

I see I can export Record content using a Variable as the new filename for the exported file.

I have more than 1200 records in my db and I hope to export 3 fields using one [fieldname: Title] as a filename.

The path for my db is as follows

file:/Macintosh HD/Users/Claudio/Documents/Synch Test Copy Copy.fmp12

Thanks a lot

Thanks for your time and reply:

My answer will be a bit long and I hope you will have the patience to read it.

I am a film maker and I use FILEMAKER as the heart of my editing process. Is a great program and in my job I use it in ways which might be not so common, this includes editing within FMP13 advanced and organising my work in different ways according to each project and step of the project.

I can do so as other film software I use generally gives me the opportunity to export files in TAB format, but as they are not database, they don't allow me selections, sorts and more which I can easily accomplish in FMP.

In this case I have this DB where I imported 1216 Clips and linking this file to other filemaker files I get duration, size shape and more. From this file I can export the files I need to export and in the way I need to export them, adding fields, changing the size and shape of the clips and so on.

I now need to be able to export just video files (all 1920x1080 px), and use the name for each file as it appears in the clipname field in my FMP13 Advanced DB. 

At the end I hope to have a folder CLIPS with the 1216 video clips each with the assigned name.

Is far too complex explaining what else I did in the main file, as it requires working in video editing and other facilities I created in FMP, often with great help from other people who is far more expert in FMP than myself. 

It would be really nice if you could tell me how can I export to a folder of choice the videoclip only but with the name I assigned in another field. If not thanks for reading my post and asking my reasons. So far nobody else had any suggestions.

I will add a little comment.

I used computers since the apple][ back in the 1980. I slowly learned how to manipulate several different software packages even when intended for usage quite different from what they were meant to be programmed: I had surprising results and obvious failures. I am not a great expert in Filemaker which I use since it was a<n independent company back in the late 80s, but with the help of many kind people I was always able to accomplish what I tried to do. I think programmers are not always aware of the potential of their software as I found ways to use a lot of stuff to get combined results which helped me a lot.

Thanks again and regards

Edited by dkey

It sounds like you have video stored in a container field. To export the contents of a container field, the script step is Export Field Contents. Look at the two examples at the bottom of the help page I just linked and see if that gives you enough to go on. I'll be happy to help if you get stuck.

I still don't understand what you meant in your first post when you say 3 fields. One is the title, one is the container -- what's the other one?

• Like 1

You'll have to loop through the records to export them.

Name a variable $file in your script that will export the records, as you loop through them. Make that $file GetAsText (DB::container_field) where DB::container_field = the field you stored the videos in. Then when you Export Field Contents [<table::field>; "<filename>"; Automatically open; Create email] as Fitch mentioned above replace the <filename> with the variable you created (called $file).

• Like 1

Thanks again Fitch and miss Agnes

Sorry I made a mistake my first post as I meant to export the video from the container field and name it joining 2 other fields as a title for the exported container field

the actual field names are exactly as this: 

CLIP (container field with a ".mov" suffix)

ClipName (text field)

Sequence (textfield)

The result should be Sequence&ClipName, as the new name for the Container Field (CLIP)

Well, then you'll just have to concatenate the information you need. Table::Field1 & "_" & Table::Field2 & "_" & Table::Field3. Not sure why you'd need the clip name twice. Because the clip itself should have that name, that you can get with Get ( AsText ).

Agnes, my interpretation is that he wants to use the values of Sequence & ClipName as the file name, rather than the original file name.

This topic is 2280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.