Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sometimes, last character in record doesn't print

This topic is 6890 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've had this continuing problem for a long time. For no obvious reason, the last character in a field, usually a name field, sometimes doesn't show when I print the record. "John" shows up as "Joh". I've tried changing the font, size, and style; there's plenty of room in the layout; and it happens irregularly.

If anyone has experienced this, I'd love some help fixing it.

Thanks,

Rick

Make sure you're using the latest version of FMP 5 -- I think it was FMP 5.0v2 or 3. The free update is on the FM Inc web site.

This could be something simple like a Font, the Field Box size, a border, page setup, print driver, or maybe some kind of corruption??

Can you post a sample file so we can see it?

Lee cool.gif

It might be difficult to replicate the font, names or whatever is causing the problem, Lee, but I'll give it a shot if you think it might be helpful. Meantime, I've attached a pic of the problem, showing screenshots of the layout (above) and print preview (below).

Perhaps that will demonstrate the issue.

Rick

Layout_vs._Print.pdf

Are you by chance using merge fields for the name? Merge fields will shrink, but not expand, to fit the entered text, unless they are part of a text block whose dimensions are the maximum you require.

Yes, must be something like that.

Are you using Sliding/Printing, and the FirstName and LastName field objects on the layout overlap (ie, the lastname field partially covers up the end of the firstname field)?

Well, it's nothing obvious. The fields come from another file. To be specific, it's an Invoice file, taking company name, first name, last name, address, etc., from a Contacts file. The fields do slide left and up if required.

Here are some of the field data that don't work:

Yuri Ciabottoni shows up as "Yur Ciabottoni"

Sue Leiferman becomes "Su Leiferman"

Colleen Vittek becomes "Colleen Vitte"

In only one case, the company name, Mission Tile, becomes "Mission"

Also in only one case, the address 2 Crestmoor Dr becomes "2 Crestmoor"

For most records, there is no missing data, regardless of the number of characters in any field. I can't seem to make any correlations among the fields with the errors.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

I created clones of each of the files, required for the others to open properly, and imported a couple of offending records. The script that creates an invoice from the contacts file still wouldn't work properly, so I just typed in a name. Sure enough, even with just the offending name typed in, when viewed in Preview mode (or, I assume, printed) the missing letters are still missing!

I tried changing font; still missing. I tried changing the character; no longer missing! Back to correct character, missing!

So I've attached just that file. Try typing "Colleen Vittek" into the 2nd and third fields and see what happens. For others, check the message above.

At least we've narrowed the isse down to this particular layout and those particular letters. Change any character in "Vittek" and it shows up fine. But even rearranging letters in that name result in the last character not showing up.

By the way, I made a macro to produce the Print Preview so it only takes about two seconds to check what happens.

Thanks for your continuing interest!

Rick

P.S. I'm using the "New Invoice" layout.

That's more like it. smile.gif

Okay, I have entered a few names and need to know where you are seeing the problem.

BTW, isn't this a free set of files that came with your FileMaker disk? If so, have you modified them since you started to use them?

Lee

cool.gif

Yes, Lee, I believe it is. The files have been modified in a variety of ways, including making new layouts to meet my needs. They may also have gone through a variety of iterations in several different environments, so they're really a hodgepodge of changes by various people.

Rick

Let me start by saying that you haven't mentioned what File (i suspect Invoice) and Layout (I don't see the one originally shown in your PDF file).

I understand that the names are being chopped off but in what layout and file.

Lee

Sorry about not repeating all the info with each new piece I've posted about this puzzle.

I'm using the "New Invoice" layout in the Invoices file.

I recorded a macro to quickly create a preview of each test, so a keystroke (I selected Control P) is my only step, and it takes about two seconds to get to a Preview view. You may have a better way to do this using Scripts.

Rick

I found it, I was looking for a layout that looked just like the PDF, and skip this one and the next one too, after I saw they were showing the data correctly.

The Font suggestion was my initial response too.

Lee cool.gif

It's not the font. When I changed font, the same letters were still missing. It doesn't happen for most entries, but for those that I noted, it happens every time. And it's only visible when either printing the page or viewing in Page Preview.

Rick

It doesn't happen for most entries, but for those that I noted

Since you didn't include those problem records in the file, all we can do it type stuff in into new records and see if it works. Since it does work when we type stuff in, it's hard for us to troubleshoot.

Hi Rick,

I think what we have confirmed is. With a limited number of data, and on different computers, the problem doesn't seem to be there. I believe we have narrowed it down to corruption, or a bad print driver. Hopefully it is the later, and you can check that easily enough by checking the manufacturer's site for a patch or update for Panther. You could move the file to a different computer and printer set up, which would confirm:

1). Whether it is or isn't Font Conflict

2). Whether it is or isn't a Print Driver

3). Whether it is or isn't a corrupted layout/file.

If you don't have access to a second machine, then you can try:

1). Upload a sample of the files with data.

2). Send the files to me direct at my charter.net address. Please let me know if you are going to do this so I can look for them.

Or,

Import your data import into a pristine copy of your files.

Using a backup copy of your files, delete the offending layout and recreate it to see if the problem persists.

HTH

Lee

smile.gif

Lee,

After spending a few hours observing the results various combinations and permutations of letters, fonts, sizes, etc., I discovered that changing the font for the address portion of my layouts from Times to Palatino has seemed to resolve the problem without greatly affecting the look. It's unfortunate, since I haven't managed to solve the problem, but it lets me continue without making a career of fixing it.

The oddness of it is that I experience the problem in no other app. It also doesn't show up in the Invoice Entry layout, only in the updated layouts, such as "New Invoice." And it occurs with Arial as well as Times and Times New Roman, but only with a string that has the unique font widths of the original. (That is, both Sue and uSe truncate the e, but sue doesn't. Sne does, Sme doesn't, etc.)

Thanks for helping me work through the problem. I was hoping it was one experienced by others so I could correct the underlying issue, but that doesn't seem to be in the offing.

Great site you're part of, tho, and I appreciate the efforts by all.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'm glad you got it to work.

Do not trust these files for very long, in the interim, back up often to ensure a minimal amount of reentering of data.

Between you and I, I upgraded to v6 as soon as it came out because v5 was not that stable, after I updated it to 5v3. Also, it was written for a operating system before 10.x. Are you running this in classic, as I though v5.5 the first one that was compatible with OS 10.x ?

Good Luck,

Lee

wink.gif

Thanks, Lee. Yes, i run it in Classic. I upgraded to 5 v3 when I started with this thread, on the first recommendation. Sounds like a mistake. Since I live in FMP for most of my company's database work, it now sounds risky. My other favorite db is Panorama, which has the advantage of blazing speed and really powerful and easy selects, but it has formatting issues (for me, at least).

Guess I'd better get back on a more regular backup schedule.

Best regards,

Rick

This topic is 6890 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.