IP Address/Using IWP question

This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello! I'm new to these forums, but from the depth of knowledge and information here I hope to spend a lot more time. I couldn't find a post relating to my question, so here goes...

I'm about to move my business onto Filemaker 8 Pro (or advanced, haven't determined completely which I need yet.) The IWP thing looks like just what I need, which is for 2-3 of us to be able to create estimates, etc., from remote computers at the same time. I understand I need a static IP address for my host computer to make IWP work.

I'm wondering how the static IP address works. I've spoken with my ISP and the Filemaker folks a couple times and am not quite sure I understand. I want my host computer to be in my home, which is in a 160-unit residential condo tower. So there is a T1 line or something going into a router in my building, which gives me my line up in my unit. My ISP is telling me that they can give me a 'private' static IP, in other words (I think) a static one on our network (from the building router to me.) Is this all I need to make IWP work?

Apparently the ISP for our building gets the actual T1 connection from another company, then divides it from there and sells it to us final users. As such, they don't own any more 'public' static IP addresses that they can give me in my building. I don't know if I could talk to whoever owns the line coming to the building to see if they can give me a public static IP, or if I even need to. This is where I am totally confused.

I just want to make sure, before I invest in the software and the time it will take to get it set up, that I can make use of IWP here in my home.

I'm grateful for any clarity that the community may provide me.

Cheers!

Ax

Edited by Guest

Sounds like they're doing Network Address Translation on your local network in the building, and a static internal IP address is going to do nothing for you accordingly.

You could try speaking with the ISP that provides the connection for the building, though even if they can provide you with a static external IP you'll still need to coordinate with the building's network administrator to implement such.

- John

• Newbies

Ahaaaa. Well I mostly understand what you mean by that.

So I need a Public IP address from whoever has the line running into my building, and then a static address on my internal network as well? Suckers. That's going to take a lot of phone calls to get set up, I think.

Does that sound like what I need to do, though?

Thanks again in advance for your reply.

Ax

What you really need is just a single, public, static IP address that will be the same inside and outside your building. In other words, your computer would be directly on the internet, not being routed through any NAT boxes. If you do this, make sure you have your system well firewalled (if it's a Windows machine, not such a big problem for Mac).

The next best thing would be to have a public IP address and the NAT box configured to then forwards certain ports to your private (static) IP address.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am using satellite internet, i go through a gateway and a router;

IWP works fine as long as i am inside my office and i connect to the 192.168... but if i use my ip address 66.92.... it doesnt cant find it.

I think i need a static ip?

Anybody have any ideas?

... or get a third party to host your FMP files outside your condo. It'll save you buying a copy of FMS8A etc.

I'm sure John May could help you further... :P

This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.