This topic is 8555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have published some files to the web. We are able to acces them in the same layout as built. However, with Netscape the layout is changed and all the fields are in one large column. Any one know how to fix the problem in Netscape?

• 2 weeks later...

What version of FileMaker? What version of Netscape? What platform is serving the database and what platform is Netscape running on? And most importantly if you are running FM 5, what Web Style did you choose in the Web Companion View Setup?

--Brian

• 1 month later...

It's the way that Netscap handles (or fails to handle) CSS.

Netscape 6 should solve the problem, but if you want older versions of Netscape to work you'll have to try "Custom Web Publishing" with CDML.

I'm not sure about XML, but I'm guessing that's a viable solution as well.

It's the way that Netscap handles (or fails to handle) CSS.

Netscape 6 should solve the problem, but if you want older versions of Netscape to work you'll have to try "Custom Web Publishing" with CDML.

I'm not sure about XML, but I'm guessing that's a viable solution as well.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for answering the question.

I have not tried the new Netscape 6. I will give it a try and see what happens.

I am running Filemaker Pro 5 on an NT server.

I just published the files with Web Companion.

If the new Netscape does not work it looks like I will have to do custom work for those files on the Web.

Thanks again, Jim...

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

If the new Netscape does not work it looks like I will have to do custom work for those files on the Web.

Thanks again, Jim...

I hate Netscrape browsers. Life is too short to spend it on NN.

On the other hand well-developed HTML pages are working in NN as well as in MSIE.

Netscape handles cookies much better, than MSIE. Cookies are not reliable in MSIE at all.

Because of that I had to redesign and re-program my discussion forum....

I guess I hate MSIE as well.

As webmaster coming from FileMaker world all browsers are craps. We are in hands of lunatics....

When choosing the instant-web look-n-feel in FMPro 5 (i.e lavender, wheat, blue and gold, etc), take note that there is a brief description for each, stating which browsers are supported. There is a web style called "fern green" which allegedly will work with any 3.x browser and higher. You will not get the pretty CSS stuff, however...

• Newbies

I too have experienced this problem.

Netscape 4.74 seems to mangle the rendering of any CSS-enabled FMP5 web style, resulting in the page being rendered using the non-CSS "fern green" web style. IE5 displays the pages just fine however.

This is a major problem for me because I am trying to do instant web publishing of databases for a site where Netscape 4.74 is installed on hundreds of machines.

Anyone know of a fix?

This isn't really a fix, but you could try custom web publishing and build you own format files.

Download a trial version of HomePage 3 and use its assistant to generate a basic set of pages, then start modifying them to suit your needs.

HomePage trial version is at the FileMaker Inc web site http://www.filemaker.com/ look for trial software.

I would like to make it clear that the above thread seems to deal with Instant Web Publishing and not Custom Web Publishing.

Instant Web Publishing works, but one does not have a great deal of control. For example, in addition to the browser issues mentioned, imagine your dismay when you find out that the complex script you wrote - the one activated by that really neat graphic button you spent so much time on - does not run because Instant Web Publishing ignores the buttons in your db solution (even if they are shown by the browser).

With Custom Publishing, one can exercise a great deal more control.

Developers often make assumptions without realizing them. They assume that everyone who will be visiting their site will be using the most current browsers. They assume that people keep JavaScript enabled. They assume that the work they have been developing in Browser X will be the same in Browser Y. They assume that all users are nice people who do not hit "Reload" or "Back" buttons.

Be aware of the assumptions you make.

This topic is 8555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.