Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Finds??

This topic is 8602 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking to execute multiple finds from the one form posting, when doing a search in fm you can create new find request and perform finds for multiple criteria in a single field. How is this possible via the web companion? Is it possible?

Cheers

It seems to me that you are not asking for "multiple finds" but instead performing boolean OR searches, which is what you are achieving with multiple find requests in FMP. One FIND operation that searches for "this OR that" cirteria in the same field.

Though I have't tested it, the -Lop tag allows the choice between AND and OR, so perhaps it can be done. You will of course need multiple repetitions of the same field on the web page to enter all the criteria in.

I'll do a test and post the results soon.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited October 15, 2000).]

Thanks Vaughan, I have tried the -LOp and it posts an OR search for every word of every request! ie if I search for "Essex" OR "West Sussex" a request gets posted for "Essex" OR "West" Or "Sussex" frown.gif

So I get Essex, West Sussex, West Yorks, East Sussex .... etc any thoughts?

Thanks Vaughan, I have tried the -LOp and it posts an OR search for every word of every request! ie if I search for "Essex" OR "West Sussex" a request gets posted for "Essex" OR "West" Or "Sussex" frown.gif

So I get Essex, West Sussex, West Yorks, East Sussex .... etc any thoughts?

You will also need the -op tag with, for instance eq for equals or bw for begins with, etc. Here is an example:

"...FMPro?-db=MPeople.fp3&-format=CallBoard/MSEList.html&-lay=simple&-SortField=Name&-SortOrder=ascending&-op=bw&Last_Name=V&-op=eq&MSE=1&-max=25&-find">

>>if I search for "Essex" OR "West Sussex" a request gets posted for "Essex" OR "West" Or "Sussex" So I get Essex, West Sussex, West Yorks, East Sussex .... etc any thoughts?>>

Hmmm... go into the FM pro database itself and do it in find mode and see what happens (that is, make the multiple requests etc and click Find). If you still get the same result then the problem is with the logic of your search rather than your CDML coding.

As a stab in the dark, you might try using an exact search: this is a bit tricky on the web but involves adding a hidden field with the contents "==" before the search field itself. this makes FMP do a search for "==whatever" but I donno if it'll help. Try it though.

I went the the FMP database after posting the search via the web and did a modify previous find, that is how I discovered what was happening, I checked the search logic then and it was OK!

I will try the hidden == and the -op tricks now and see if I have any joy

later

Good move using the "modify previous find" command to take a look at what was happening during the search.

The hallmark of an astute FileMaker Pro developer!

This topic is 8602 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.