Running FM as a service

This topic is 8575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a total newbie to FM/Web Companion/Lasso

I have been approached by a FM MAC developer to do an install of FM/LASSO on NT Server. I have persuaded FM/LASSO to co-operate on NT in a uer environment, the next stage is to get FM to run as a system service so that it is not affected by user logon/logoff. I am using SRVANY.EXE from the NT Resource Kit and have added the service to run as a system account and to interact with desktop. However whenever I start the service FM runs and opens the requisite databse, but then the NT Service Control Manager eventually times out with 7009 timeout waiting for service to connect, 7000 Filemaker service did not respond in a timely manner. Can someone tell me the blindingly obvious step that I am missing

NT4 Server SP5, IIS 4, FM Pro V5, Lasso 3.6.6

Regards

Simon White

SAW IT Services Ltd

FileMaker specifically advises *against* running the 4.1 and 5.0 client as a service under NT. Refer to The FileMaker TechInfo Article #105642 http://www.filemaker.com/support/techinfo.html

In part it says...

"FileMaker Inc. Technical Support has heard from people who are running FileMaker as a service with only minor feature failures. The Send Mail script step and other features will return error messages because they are dependent on Windows settings which are just not available until someone logs in.

However, we have also heard from customers who experience more serious crashing and stability issues. Again, FileMaker Pro 5 / 4.0 is not designed or supported as a service on Windows NT."

This issue came up a month or so ago in another thread http://www.fmforums.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000116.html

You might want to read what was discussed here, maybe even contact the person involved to get their advice.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited November 27, 2000).]

This topic is 8575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.