Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Speak up ...

This topic is 6085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Adobe would not license the PDF to runtimes, and neither would I, if I were them.

As for the sales base:

2/3 Windows OS

1/3 Mac OS

Approximately 75% volume licenses to business and other organizations, approximately 25% in Finished Good Units ( 5 licenses or fewer).

Approximately 95% of all VLA's have a FileMaker Server as part of the license.

Steven

Learn to print, give us pdf in runtimes... and do not try to be what you will never be - a professional Developer DB

Would that be the Gil Amelio days, you're refering to??

http://lowendmac.com/orchard/05/1221.html

To me doesn't filemakers strategy divert much from this:

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9302662

...and in particular when the text goes:

a third lesson from Apple is that smart companies should sometimes ignore what the market says it wants today

Too many technology firms think that clever innards are enough to sell their products, resulting in gizmos designed by engineers for engineers

--sd

milking cow is vla and because the vla users playing the game we individuals are confronted with expensive half updates. So filemaker must be profitable and shure i would do the same. Seams that vla users are less critical and better to manage then individuels and have more money. Its okay with me

• 3 weeks later...

There are events in v9? That's a step in the right direction. Proper event handling would make FMP a much more versatile solution.

As for connecting to outlook - I wonder if that has something to do with Access and Outlook being part of the same package.

No there aren't event's in 9.

As for the second part, it has more to do with the fact that Access scripting is based in VBA which allows interaction with the operating system as a whole.

Greetings Fellow FileMaker-Ins,

Very interesting conversation! It’s what they say in the book business as a “Good Read”. I especially liked the very first post where DukeS said

I want to say some things and I think that I speak for all of us.

“For all of us” Whew and here I thought I was the only one to make such statements. So DukeS it’s you and me man. I’ll even tell you in all humility, something I’m not well known for, that there are those on this and I dare say other forums that will tell you even I don’t “Speak for all of us”… I know what your thinking… Surely not!

Now I’m not going to let you guys drag me into a conversations about FileMaker, Access and Sex… Three things I clearly know nothing about. But I do have something that will “Speak for all of us” and that’s not always getting the things we want. Some of us can speak about FileMaker in that regard because each of us can think of at least one thing we would have liked added to FMP 9 and were disappointed it was not included. One can only hope that the disappointment is short term.

I’ll burden no one by trying to tell you that I’m some great visionary or Guru, but I must tell you I’m excited about FileMaker’s future direction. Not by what I hope, by what I see. SQL alone is huge and their plans for it and other directions are quite obvious from 9! And Jtoner you are right about the Plug-Ins and that Access has had it for 10 years. If I’ve learned nothing through the years it’s Don’t refute truth! I know that your post was intended to be fair and balanced and with that in mind I would only offer that a few more sentences on the development and deployment aspect of FileMaker and the fit & finished of the end product would have been a reasonable inclusion...

I started this discussion mentioning FileMaker, Access and Sex and feel it only fitting to tell you this story. It was years ago behind the Sale Barn with one the Semi beautiful Johnson twins and by all accounts it looked like I was going to do well. When all of a sudden she drew back and said “I’m aware of the esoteric aspects of sexual behavior and consequently must preclude you from such activities”! I said “I don’t get it” and she said, “Ya that’s what I said”! :smile2:

So you see… I learned early on about Access! :waytogo:

Live Long & Prosper,

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing that bugs me the most so far is that for every calculation that I want to display, I need a field in a table (which is either a calculation or a dummy field fed by script). This is very much against normalization and makes my tables much bigger than they should be : I would like to be able to punch in the result of a simple calculation in a label or some sort of special text box.

This topic is 6085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.