Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Please help Table Missing problems

This topic is 5904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Try creating a new layout or respecifying each of those fields with the right table occurence. Most likely you deleted the orig table occurence of what the layout was based.

• Newbies

ok, I created one single table that had about 15 fields in it with 271 records. I called the table ClientTable and a layout was created for this table. I then added a second table called ArtistTable but I didn't create a layout for this table yet and haven't added any data. So there are now 2 tables. Then I decided to rename the ClientTable to MainTable. I did this by going into file>manage>database>tables> then clicked on ClientTable and typed in MainTable and then clicked on rename. Once I did this I went back to browse mode and in each of the fields it says

But when I go into file>manage>database>tables and click on MainTable it says there are still 271 records.

So do I have to some how relate the records to the table ? I'm completely stuck now

Try this... Go to your relationships graph... Check to see if there is a table occurence called 'ClientTable' or 'MainTable'. Double click it to make sure that it and check to see that you are specifying the correct table (now called ClientTable).

The table and data is still there... The issue is that the layout represents the table occurence ( the items on the graph). When you create a new table, FileMaker puts a table occurence with the SAME name as the TABLE on the graph. If you delete the Table Occurence and the layout is specified to that Table occurence, you will get your issue. If you create a new layout and specify a table occurence that doesnt represent the table, then it will have issues as well.

What exactly do you mean by respecifiying the table occurence ?

By this I meant checking that the table occurence, the layout, and the fields are of the same. Start with the table occurence and make sure that is it specified to represent teh correct table. Then check the layout by going into layout set and make sure that it is displaying records based on the table occurence. Third, check your fields that they are displaying records based on the table occurence.

Just in case dingling does not know. In Layout Mode, choose, from the Layouts menu, Layout Setup. It is here that you give a Layout its name, and assign it to a particular table occurrence (TO).* If you've deleted the table occurrence, it will say (I believe). In which case you can't really reassign the fields on the layout yet. A layout must be assigned to a TO first.

In other words, there's more to it than just "tables." You have to take into account what is on the Relationship Graph, and what the layout is assigned to. You may be confused, because the name of a TO may be the same as its base table name (it is by default). But they are not the same thing. Changing the names does not break anything however, so that is not the problem.

*A table occurrence (TO) is a "box" on the Relationship Graph, which can be thought of as "aliases" to their base table, that is, you can have several TOs which point back to the same base table. But, like an alias file, they have a specific location (on the graph in this case). A layout, and by extension its fields, will inherit the "location," the relational ties of the TO.

• Newbies

i have now worked it out with your help thanks everyone. in the end i had to create a new layout for some reason on my previous layout it wouldn't let me select my table in the layout setup menu where it says 'show records from' which has baffled me. oh well thanks again

This topic is 5904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.