Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email Questions

Christina.Luis

This topic is 4608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FMP 11. I have several scripts, I am building a database to track tech issues. The core of the database functions great. However I would like the database to send formated email when certain things are done. IE: If a date is put in a field, a name, or clicking a button. I tried to set this up, using the email client, and I can somewhat do it successfully with my information. But when I try to pull the information from another database (one I created with the persons first name, last name, and email address - plain and simple) it will not pull in the persons email address. I am guessing that I have them related correctly, and or that I am just plain way off base. I am having it pull from a reported by field for the email address - which is connected to the email address database. (Geesh this sounds so complicated).

SO I guess what I am asking is how do I have the database send an email - use a pre- created email (one with information pulled from the database - does not have to be fancy) then use the correct email address, when a button is pushed, a name is put in a field, and a date is inputed.

Also Is there a way I can create a form for the email? pulling info liek name, dates, times, notes etc?

I am creating the database based off of a template from Web Help Desk (which I love Love Love, but my boss more than likely will not allow it due to costs.). Help?

Thank you

Christina Luis

Ok I have read that article I understand how to set up the email client and the smtp (which my smtp is an ip address and it doesn't like that so I was using the email client. ) THe part I am confused on is the part where you choose the person to send the email to - i am wanting this to happen automatically. So there is a database (separate) that contains first name, last name, and email.

This is the screen I have problems with. I am not sure what to do with the to, cc, bcc etc fields. Do I have it put the email address? and if so how does it know which email address to pull? And when i put the email address into those fields, put in a dummy email, it will only send it to me (using the second window where you set it up).

6991_2.jpg

Not this screen:

6991_1.jpg

So I am asking what information do I need to put into the first window, and where does it pull that information from, and how does it know which email to pull?

Im sorry if this is confusing, im trying to understand this in my head.

TIA

Christina

Edited by Christina.Luis

If you click the disclosure arrow icon to the right of the field, you will see the choices "Specify Field Name" and "specify Calculation". Most often, you will perform a find to isolate the records of recipients of your email. Each of those records will presumably have an EmailAddress field. You would select that field name in the dialog box. FileMaker would gather the contents of that field in all the found records, and use them to populate the email's to: field.

To create a form, create a calculation field in your database. It should contain something like:

"Dear " & NameField & ":¶Your report which was due on " & DueDateField & " has not been received.¶Please submit it immediately to " & SupervisorNameField

You would then reference this field in the dialog which is brought up by selecting "Specify Field Name" next to the message field in the "Send Mail" Options dialog

If you click the disclosure arrow icon to the right of the field, you will see the choices "Specify Field Name" and "specify Calculation". Most often, you will perform a find to isolate the records of recipients of your email. Each of those records will presumably have an EmailAddress field. You would select that field name in the dialog box. FileMaker would gather the contents of that field in all the found records, and use them to populate the email's to: field.

Ok, So when i relate the two databases (the email address one and the ticket system) Relate them by name and email address? So that when i put the information in the to and cc feilds it pulls the right info?

I don't understand why you have two unrelated FM Files (databases). Perhaps you really mean that you have two unrelated tables in the same database? Also, every table should have an ID field which is an auto-enter serial. You relate tables by IDs, not by text values such as name.

So, in the ticket system, what table are you working with and how would it relate to a table that has the email address? For example, a support ticket may relate to the People record by PeopleID. The People table would have PeopleID, FName, LName and email.

Ticket > People where

Ticket::_kF_PeoID = People::__kP_PeoID

Maybe that is my problem. Im still figuring out FMP and this is more advanced for me. I will look into making another table instead of using a seperate database for that. I have 2 databases' linked for asset information (our inventory database). Thought that was the way to do this as well. Thank you for your help. :) I think its making more sense to me now.

I did relate the two databases by a Reported by field, but i think your point of another table rather than database is the way to go.

I don't know your data model, but let's assume you have a ticket table and a client table.

Every kind of information about a ticket would have a field in the ticket table. The client table would contain all the client info (id, name, address, phone, email, etc).

These would usually be related by a client id field. (each ticket would have a client ID).

The email script would be called from the ticket table. So the field you would reference in the Send Mail dialog would be client::email. The global field (call it MessageText) would be in the ticket table.

If there are to be a number of different message texts, I would create a messages table. Each record would contain a messageID field and a messageText field. This would be related to the ticket table by the messageID. The field required in the Send Mail dialog would be messages::messageText .

This topic is 4608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.