DropBox and FM Go

This topic is 4140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to install FM Go in Dropbox and then open a runtime app in DropBox from the iPad and also have the same app available through DropBox on the MAC or other computers??

Or, does anybody have a really good option that will do a "true" sync or "push" for an FM runtime app on multiple computers & IOS devices??

While FMP Go is a valuable asset for running an app in IOS, it is not convenient to keep files in sync. I have a few clients that need access from multiple computers & IOS devices, in different locations.

Has anyone used iCloud or other "cloud" options that work??

I apologize if this is an old topic; I could not find any results in search!

Is it possible to install FM Go in Dropbox and then open a runtime app in DropBox from the iPad and also have the same app available through DropBox on the MAC or other computers??

There are many FM Hosting services available, that can host your file on their server, and then use FM GO to remote access it from there.

Edited by Lee Smith
Don't quote the whole posts

egurewit - welcome to the forums!

Please, DO NOT use DropBox and launch a FileMaker file - it will be the quickest way to corrupt your solution. Any FileMaker file should not be 'touched' - moved or copied while it is in use - but the nature of DropBox and similar ( google ) do just that make copies to others that are shared. It's one thing to use them as a conduit to move a file to another device or party but in practice not used to deploy a FMP solution, my recommendation is to always close the file and compress it before you upload it to a Cloud service such as DropBox.

As Matty said if you need multiple people to use FMP at the same time you need to use a hosting company AND be running full version of FMP on your Mac or PC - however on IOS you can use it free.

There are several Syncing solutions out there that may be implemented to truly keep your data "synced"

http://www.360works.com/filemaker-sync/

http://www.seedcode.com/cp-app/ste_cat/gozync

http://www.syncdek.com/syncmobile/

The FMP hosting option is not a practical solution.  These are individual clients who want to share their copy of the runtime program with other users.  They are small operations (mostly alpaca breeders) who need remote access from the barn or field or from a laptop when at a show, or maybe have a ranch manager that needs access from another location. In some, but rare cases, they have a 2nd ranch location.  They do not need or want the expense of having FMP on all devices.  

I looked into the sync options you suggested.  Unless I am missing something here, these all work only with FM Server, not with runtime options?  I have my own iPad/iPhone app for my clients to use with FMGO 12, but I have to write a manual sync option and have concerns about getting all the most recent changes from multiple sources updated correctly.  I'm using add-date & mod-date by file, but not field level (that would be a nightmare!!!)  For the basic needs most of my clients have, that works, but an "automated" sync would be nice, or better still, having remote access directly to the same program.

I have also been doing some research and testing with VNC.  I like that as an option, but it also has some cons, like not being able to use WoL unless the host computer is connected through ethernet.  And there are some other potential security issues.  But with the cheap cost of a PC, it may be a very viable option to have a dedicated PC connected via ethernet for this purpose.

I would be interested in any feedback on VNC, if anyone has used it successfully for remote access; what products have you used/like, what problems have you encountered/fixed, etc.  I have been playing with Mocha VNC Lite and it seems to be a very viable solution, other than the WoL issue and some security questions I still have (i.e. can remote access be limited or Locked down" to just certain places or programs and not allow "free access to everything on the host computer?)

Thanks.

You may look in to LogMeIn for the iOS and mac - its better suited to take finger taps to the remote computer. Plus it will configure properly so you can get access to Mac or PC behind a firewall with out having 

to modify your port settings.

This topic is 4140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.