Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how to start with server if stupid

This topic is 3370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I install the 13 trial of server on my mom's macbook.  She said it was ok. It gave me a icon with the admin console but I have a file I want to put in it and when I select the file and want to upload to server, it asks for information I do not know wants address.  nothing I try works and I can't find anywhere there is information about how to start if someone doesn't know what they are doing.  How do I start please and where is information on it?  How do I find what to enter in the address?

It all works and is fun.  I read everything in the FM server documents honestly and I do not know what to put as the external source in my ipad file.  I do not want to put any ip, right? It should be the name I gave my server in FM?  How do I find what to put here?  My mom does not know except the ip numbers.  Where to find it on a Mac?  I say things like 'local host' but it never says what that means.  I want to put I think the names and not numbers.

Are you asking how to upload a file to FMS from FMP? Are you asking how to access a file hosted by FMS on your iPad? It's not the same on your LAN as it is from outside. If from within your LAN the name of the computer with FMS should show up when you launch FM go as one of the choices. This should happen via Bonjour. Let us know what's working/not working. Someone will help.

• Like 1

I got it uploaded and it all works but now what do I put in the file I will put on my iPad?  Like you say they are different and I can not find what to put in the iPad file to point to my served file.  You make me feel better Rick.  I appreciate the help.

Sorry Wim it does not.  I read everything and I do not know what to put in external data source.  I do not know what to put as hostip address.  if I do not use filemaker server but want my main file to be the host and I have a file I want on the iPad, what do I put in its external data source to get to my local file?  And if I use filemaker server what do I put in the iPad external data source.  I cannot find where this exact information is explained on where I find it on my mom's computer.

I looked up what is my iPad address.  is that what I put as fmnet://this number/file name on my computer?

I have now spent weeks at this.  I do not understand what goes in the external data source between files in same directory even.  Nothing I put ever works.  I think I am giving up on being a computer person.  Obviously I am simply too stupid to figure it out.

I really do appreciate everyone trying.  But if I can't even get two files to see each other no matter what I do then I should go be a waitress at Denny's instead.

Charity,

external data sources is only for one filemaker file to talk to another filemaker file it doesn't necessarily have any thing to do with hosting or using FMGO per se.

you would never really need to know the iPad address.

Here are your deployment options:

OPTION 1:

Host your file on FMS, or using FM Pro, who's file sharing is active - then find the IP address of that computer ( i.e 10.0.1.25 ) 

on your iPad you would choose HOST and then enter the IP address so that you can access the file on the iPad - the file is just connected

This works only when you are on the local area network ( LAN ) as the ip address is internal not the public IP for wide area network (WAN)

OPTION 2:

email the file, or use dropbox, or use iTunes to move the .fmp12 file to FMGO on the iPad this will allow you to copy the file so that FMGO can access the file directly No hosting needed.

OPTION 3: use a third party hosting to host the file where you can access the file on FMP or FMGo.

---

Charity could you please tell us what your goal is and how many files you have?

• Like 1

I have separations two files data and interface.  They work when in same folder with just file name relative. It works when I put them both upload to server but my mom made me take server off. Now I want to use my copy of Pro13 here on Mac for parts data file and I am trying to move the interface to the iPad and have it relate to my parts file which is the FMPro host I think.

So I think I want option 1 and I think it might work.  I forgot that I have to replace the iPad file with what you suggested.  I will try that now.  This is the most confusing frustrating thing I have ever done.  I can't even find ports on this macbook to check them.

so I put something like this:  fmnet:/10.0.1.25/parts_data.fmp12  in the external data source of the interface file on iPad?

I will not always have connection.  I need to work in it with the local tables too.  Thank you for trying Bruce.  I thought Go allows working locally.  I have customers on ipad.

MacBook not imac and its purpose is to hold a parts catalog and to simulate server.  I know I am young but I have been studying.  And many people have files in both places and even sync them so I know my wanting to understand how to relate two files is not unheard of although obviously it is so obvious that nobody talks about it.  I want parts separate and not on ipad since it is huge.  And I want to understand how to use external data sources to a file somewhere else than where the main file resides.  Eventually we will have my FMS on a work server but not yet.

Are you saying that I can not relate two files if they exist in different places like one on ipad and one on server or desktop?

I am not trying to sync.  I just do not want to put our parts catalog on iPad and new customers can be added into interface file on iPad and uploaded and no syncing needed.  I am trying to learn the various methods.  That is all, just learning.  And nowhere that I can find does it tell me even yet where to find host name instead of number.  I see external file references as serverName.companyName.com and things like that.  I think that is where I need a static ip but all this beginning-level stuff is skipped for people new like me.  It seems everyone thinks everyone else just knows it and I've spent months now on it and still can't even find ports on this macbook.

All I am trying to learn is the external data source to know how to connect two files.  It seems so simple.  I got the file replaced on iPad but now my mom wants her computer back so it will be tomorrow or maybe even later before I can beg it again.  

Charity,

File A is your hosted catalog - that has a lot of data hosted either on FMS or (not recommended using FMP )  

File B is your database where you will put in to FMGO

then File B will need a External data path to the known URL to FILE A. however if you don't have DNS or a domain name, and your router properly configured trying to access FILE A outside your environment can be a challenge.

If you don't have a static IP address it gets more complex - you may consider just using a HOSTING company that can host your file you will be given a domain name where you can access the file remotely 

-

however you will have to manually use iTunes or Email the file to your desktop so that you can IMPORT data from the FMGO (file b )

when working with a database that is NOT online you have to do everything manually and the problem is if you have two people trying to add the same company or editing the same record on two different iPads you have a conflict - thats when you have to go down the road and deal with SYNCing database, as was mentioned there are several commercial version out there and an open source version but in order to really do that you really need the databases hosted with a domain name or static IP. 

Plus you must ensure that you are using Get ( UUID ) as the key field that links your relationships because serial number fields will make it difficult to sync. 

Charity, I can only speak from my own experience. I'm new to Filemaker Server. However, since I split my time between two residences FMS has become a lifesaver. I have FMS on a Mac Mini at my office. I also have a Mac Pro at the same location. At one point a while ago i acquired a MacBookPro and then I was faced with moving the most recent files around from computer to computer. Hard if not impossible to keep track. Someone on this forum, Wim I think, suggested getting FMS. That way the files are on the server machine and there's no question about "what's the most recent file". So now I use my MBP and my iPad remotely all the time. To access from outside my LAN I use noip.com to compensate for not having a static ip address. It's free and very reliable. To be clear, I have FMPA on my laptop and FM GO on the iPad. However there are no files on either machine . . . none on my Mac Pro either. All three machines access the files by clicking the "Remote" button when FMP asks you, after launching, what file you want to open. It's working well for me and I highly recommend this way of doing things. If you pay $99.00 for an FMDev subscription membership you can have FMS for development purposes. It's very limited in terms of the number of users but has worked quite well for me. At some point when I need more simultaneous users I'll need to buy a proper FMS license but for now it's a great tool for learning. But you already have FMS, no?

I appreciate all the help.  It is frustrating that I keep saying that our guys are up in the mountains and deserts and do not have connection.  They need to be able to enter customers on their iPad.  Also yes, I have server but I have no server box right now, being told repeatedly that they will get it in a few weeks that never comes.  So I am trying to learn so I am ready.  I am trying to learn all the different configurations and test and I have no iPad nor do I have a home computer only a windows system which they will not let me put anything on.

All these limits make it very frustrating so I rely on asking here to try to understand what can work.  Then I beg or pay my mom to use her macbook sometimes at set limited times for trying to learn.  I beg my friends to borrow their iPad.  I spent all my college money I had saved buying pro advanced 11, 12 and 13 and now server 12 and trial server 13 which I only got to serve for 6 hours before mom jumped me.  So yes I am scrambling and yes I may not be learning the best way but it is the only way I know. I have no money left only a dream.  Oh and I have a program I have written that I believe in and our sales manager had his socks blown off and he believes in it.

We need a file on iPad where the sales reps can enter information without connection.  That is the purpose of iPad to me.  They would like to look up information in parts catalog which will be served if they have connection because it is over 1GB in size so I wanted to use PSOS to just provide a global concatenated detail description by passing a parameter global variable and possibly Base64 picture of it which is not yet designed.  This does not mean this is the final design.  Heck that is what I am working out but I need to know what is possible and that means knowing what goes in external data source and I am still hoping for explanation as I have asked.  This business is beating me I am afraid.  I think I will give up and maybe 10 years from now I will have the mind and money to do it.  I gave all I had but it is simply too much.  Thank you for trying anyway.  

Charity, don't say you're giving up. All that you want to do can be done. As you've said, you're a young woman and of course I should have considered, before posting what I did, that money could be an issue. I'm much older and probably have more resources available to me to deploy  the solutions I need. You seem to have confidence in your skills as a developer. If this turns out to be true you will eventually find the backing you need. 

Charity,

Since the best experience is if the end user has all the data they need local to their iPad and not rely on connectivity you may try to do this:

Create your solution in ONE file with multiple tables one table for your catalog another other table for your customer data entry. 

If your catalog only changes every so often that is fine you can push out a new version to the end user to replace their database with all the catalog data.

If they only need to add new customers and not look up historical customers then you can essentially have them email data (export as TAB/CSV/or EXCEL )  from the customer table for you to import in to your own file, every night.

(not ideal but its a work around)

Since cost is a concern for you please look at this http://fmeasysync.com, its a free open source framework for syncing your database - it may be a bit overwhelming at first but I am confident that you can get there!

-

Charity every year at the developer conference we (old salts) wonder where the "next generation" of FileMaker Developers are coming from, if you have a passion for this and

accept the challenges head on, you most likely will be reciprocating your learnt knowledge and wisdom in short time to other newbies jumping in to the fray.

-

What goes into the External Data Sources - really depends on where the files will ultimately be deployed, if two files are hosted then they would use relative paths:

file:MyDatabse.fmp12

if one file is local to a device then it needs the fully qualified URL path with either the PUBLIC IP address, or a domain name, if using a 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x this is an internal IP address and wouldn't be accessible out side your environment.

fmnet:/192.168.10.10/MyDatabase.fmp12
fmnet:/fms.somehostingcompany.com/MyDatabase.fmp12

if you would like to see how can be access when hosted please send me a private message and I could host a sample file for you that you can test with. 

Stephen

• Like 4

Stephen, this connects all the lines and you are so nice to do this and make this offer.  oh I feel that way now LaRetta but I will not quit. You sure got my attention with your boot

and email with amazing offer are absolute ultra bomb. With my own computer and iPad I can study all night and there will be no stopping me.  You are right that people here are amazing. 

The tricky part for you is that you are trying to do a solution, where some parts works offline and some parts works online.

The question, you keep repeating, as far as I can see, is about how you configure external sources. (which is link to another FileMaker file)

With your test setup, I doubt that your mothers computer has a domain name, so you will need to use the IP address.

As someone said, a server should never use DHCP, as the IP address will then change from time to time and you will have to change the address to the server all the time.

So first off, you need to setup your mothers computer (which is now your test server) to use static IP address. For that, you will need to know a little about network.

Let me make an assumption here (which is just to show you an example).

Your router has the IP address: 192.168.1.1

So, we set the server to an address, that is not within the DHCP servers IP range. Let's try with 192.168.1.252

Now, in the file you put on the iPad, go to external sources and use that IP address to point to the server.

- or more easy, just point directly to it, by selecting via remote.

This will setup the link to the file on your server. And yes, you will need to use the IP address.

Now, this should work as long as your iPad is on the same local network as the server.

It get's more complicated, if you want to connect from the outside, but as I hear you, this is only for testing.

You will encounter some challenges with the setup, you are trying. As you want part of your solution to work offline and other parts to work online, when there is connection.

This is not a task, which is easy as you will need to do some kind of synchronization. Like Bruce says, this is NOT for beginners

• Like 2

Hello Claus, can you explain this part

"As someone said, a server should never use DHCP, as the IP address will then change from time to time and you will have to change the address to the server all the time.

So first off, you need to setup your mothers computer (which is now your test server) to use static IP address. For that, you will need to know a little about network.

Let me make an assumption here (which is just to show you an example).

Your router has the IP address: 192.168.1.1

So, we set the server to an address, that is not within the DHCP servers IP range. Let's try with 192.168.1.252

Now, in the file you put on the iPad, go to external sources and use that IP address to point to the server.

- or more easy, just point directly to it, by selecting via remote.

This will setup the link to the file on your server. And yes, you will need to use the IP address.

Now, this should work as long as your iPad is on the same local network as the server."

you keep saying 'server' but what does that mean?  Do you mean the computer that is going to be the host?  Do you mean an invisible thing that is going to hold my static ip once I figure how to make it?  Do I just make up a number then like in your example and set it to a high number at random and that becomes static?  I can not look now since I am at work but I think my mom's ip was 192.168.1.12 but her modem is 192.168.1.1 so I could just create a new server by "we set the server to an address that is not the DHCP servers IP range.  Lets try with 192.168.1.252"?   Things seem like abstract objects picked from the air but they are beginning to feel real to me.  BTW you are a cutie.

Does that make it static or do I need to use the noip.com that Rick gave me to create a static ip?  So when you say the iPad must be on same 'local network as the server' you mean that the iPad must be connected with wire or can it be wireless?  It finds my mom's network somehow on its own.  I should probably wait on asking since I will get my computer and iPad after work today and I just want to be ready.  I never cry and it still makes me cry LaRetta.  Breaks over back to work.  this is an exciting day probably more exciting than when I got my car.

Rick thank you so much for your nice words.  Everyone here is saving my life.  

• 1 month later...

Hi Charity,

there are a few networking concepts that you can learn that will serve as a foundation to help you better understand what FileMaker may be asking for:

1.  When you connect online, you have a modem that connects to a router or an all-in-one modem/router device that manages all your network connections.  Your router usually manages both public and private IP addresses.  Public IP addresses allow sources outside to connect to your network.  Private IP addresses are for devices that are connected within your network.  Another term for Private IP Address is Internal IP address.

2.  Local network is another name for an internal network.  It can be both a mixture of wireless (Wifi) and wired (cat5, cat6, etc).

3. 192.168.1.1 is typically an internal/private IP address.  Any network device will have an internal/private IP Address like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1. 10.0.1.1, etc.  There are many variations depending on the hardware that you use.  Manufacturers use different private IP addresses for each device.

4.  There are 2 basic types of IP addresses, Static IP and Dynamic IP.  Static IP is a designated IP address that doesn't change.  Dynamic IP is an IP address that is leased and can change when its lease is up.  You will likely have seen the term DHCP.  If DHCP is enabled on your router, it will automatically lease or assign an IP address to your network devices.  If DHCP is enabled on your network device, it will talk with the router to obtain an IP address lease.

5.  If you plan on connecting to the same network device over and over again, such as a server, it is recommended that you setup the server with a static IP address.  It can be any IP address within your IP range.  An IP range can look like 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200.

6.  FileMaker Server can be installed on any compatible computer system as it is a software server.  The computer that you install FileMaker Server onto does does not need to be a physical server (Physical servers have server grade hardware that can sometimes run both server OS and applications.)  In other words FileMaker Server can be installed on your iMac, Macbook, desktop computer, etc.  When people say server it can mean a software server or it can mean a hardware server, it depends on the context.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow FileMaker fans

I had to solve the issue with syncing FileMaker Tables, and solved it. Following issues are important:

There are a few cases which have to be handled: server newer than client, client newer than server, record not present on server, record not present on client, record deleted on client, both client and server have updated versions.

Especially the last two need a clear rule, for me it was: deleting ist marking as deleted and version conflicts have to be solved when detected.

Furthermore the client table has no link whatsoever with a remote table, as a connection to the server is not given (at all times). This is handled with a sync table which ist called when syncing (= connection available).

Just my two cents, best regards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This has been working.  I have FMS on my laptop.  I haven't used it for several weeks and now it is broken again.  I can get to admin console and it is on but when I try to upload a file using Sharing in the file and I enter my name and password to the server address, it says "Connection Failed."  It is the same host that was there before that worked and I did not change anything at all.

I do not even know where else to look.  I had downloaded Administering Databases and do not see this mentioned.  I turned off the firewall but it still will not work.  Why please?

"4.  There are 2 basic types of IP addresses, Static IP and Dynamic IP.  Static IP is a designated IP address that doesn't change.  Dynamic IP is an IP address that is leased and can change when its lease is up.  You will likely have seen the term DHCP.  If DHCP is enabled on your router, it will automatically lease or assign an IP address to your network devices.  If DHCP is enabled on your network device, it will talk with the router to obtain an IP address lease."

Yes. However, if the machines on the network are accessing via wifi, in my case via an Airport Extreme and NOT via the DSL router's wifi services, the DSL router may occasionally assign a new ip to the AE but the AE will never assign new ip addresses to the machines connected via wifi. This is true even if the client machines are set to dhcp.

This topic is 3370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.