Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Separation model Account re-login behaviour in WebDirect...

Grundly

This topic is 2546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello folks

I am experiencing a peculiar behaviour, which is creating a user case problem, in a solution that is utilizing the Data Separation Model and WebDirect. I need to know if this behavior is normal, a bug, or if my implementation is incorrect.

I've got an interface file and a data file. Each file has two Privilege Sets defined (in addition to [Full Access]); call them Floor and Manager. Floor has very restricted access, and Manager has more liberal access (but no where near Full Access).

Scenario 1) I've made a script in the interface file which performs a re-login. A user logs in as Floor privileges via WEBDIRECT. User then performs the script and enters credentials for Manager. The interface file successfully performs the re-login and gains the privileges associated with Manager. However, the data file does NOT change, it does not re-login, and it still exhibits the behaviour of the Floor privileges. I know this is an incorrect implementation. Which brings me to:

Scenario 2) I've made a script in the interface file which collects the account name and password from the user (show custom dialogue), stores them in temporary global fields and as local variables, clears the temporary global fields (keeps the variables), then performs the re-login using those variables (which works). The interface file gains the new privileges as expected. Then, that same interface script calls a re-login script in the data file, passes those login credentials to it, and then performs a re-login there in the data file as well. This works perfectly in FileMaker Pro Advanced, but it does not work in WebDirect. WebDirect still exhibits the same behaviors as described in Scenario 1: interface file does gain the new privileges, but the data file remains unchanged, retaining the original login's privilege set. 

Thus, how can I make WebDirect act like FileMaker Pro in regards to getting both parts of data separation model to perform a re-login? 

Thank you

I am interested to see the outcome of this.  Scenario 2 is where my mind went as I read Scenario 1 as I have Scenario 2 working in some multiple file separation models (Interface, Data, and Media files)   I do recall having login issues when testing for web direct and have not gone further with it.  Although I do know the simplest solution is to have the Interface file auto login to a default account then Put your Floor and Manager scripts only in the Data file.  The data is what you want to protect and do not need data protection in the interface file.  In fact it makes new updates of the interface file easy as you don't have to code in ways to reset passwords in all files when you distribute an updated interface file.  I have planned to work this out, and it is more complicated when there is one interface and data and media files.  Perhaps this helps you.  

Cheers,

Ben

This topic is 2546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.