Server Maintenance This Week. ×

help with creating a dynamic checklist

msolano

This topic is 2370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to make a checklist for tasks that attaches to different records. Ideally I would have a table that keeps track of the tasks but I also need it to connect to each object.

So for example, on November 1 , 2017:

-Object 102 was washed and wax

-Object 103 was dusted

-Object 104 was washed with power hose

-Object 105 didn’t have any work done to it.

All the objects (102-105) are in a table that I'd like to remain static, and acting as a primary key. I’d like to create another table that has a record of what was completed for each day instead of creating a new record for each object and the particular thing that was done for it that day.

This table would ideally have:

-Date (so a new record for each day)

-Object number (that connects to another table)

-& A checklist (Checklist options for each object number would be:

Dusted

Washed regularly

Washed with a power hose

Waxed

No work

As well as a space to add notes for the day or notes for the day for each object. Is there a way to create this or is this not possible? (sidetone: Ideally I'd like to mount this on to an iPad for easy record keeping in situ. I'd love to get any tips or ideas! Thank you!

You are very close to the preferred structure. You were right on when you said that your table of objects should consist of fields statically related to each object.

Your second table should have records not based on date, but on instances of service. Each record should be one instance of service (one checklist item) on one object. It will have, as you indicated, a foreign key field for object id, and  fields for date, service performed, notes and possibly other data (for example, due date for next service). In the case of notes, a record can have a note relating to a particular service operation, or can be a separate record for that date indicating a general note for that object (for example, an unavailable unit start date, and another record for a return to active status date).

From there, you can easily create report layouts which report dates of service, service history of each object, or almost anything else related to the objects and the servicing of each object. These may or may not require additional Table Occurrences of each table, but no other tables will be necessary.

This is very doable and can easily be ported to FileMaker Go on or more iPads. You must develop your solution on FileMaker Pro, though.

This topic is 2370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.