Import data into Filemaker from Excel File stored on Container

This topic is 2124 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

First of all, I am a newbie on Filemaker so still learning every day new techniques... I like to search in the forums to deal with the challenges I find but this one I am posting I couldn't find anything so I am starting a new topic just in case.

I am trying to set a script to import data into our Filemaker DB from a Excel file. Normally we would download every day an excel file from our Courier company with all the tracking information and then import that info into our orders table. What I would like to set is a script that would run everynight and donwload the Excel file into a Container Field and then use that container as a source for a recurring Import. Does this make any sense? I would like to achieve is to not store any file outside of Filemaker. Is this possible?

thanks a lot again for your time,

Best regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Docasar,

I am trying to do a similar thing... I'd like to drop a CSV file into a (global) container field (for convenience rather than setting a path in concrete), then be able to read the contents of that file into one of the tables.
I wasn't sure if I was able to read the contents directly (should be possible right?), but thought I could then export it back (was CSV) out to a known path (get(temporary path) in this case) then Import it back in. Whilst it's not the most elegant solution (double handling the file for sure), I was not sure how to Export it back to this temporary folder because I'm not saving an FM file - its a file within a container.

Whatever the method, there must be a tricky way to import entries from a CSV that is already stored in a container field.  I'm going to work on this over the next few days - if I find a solution I'll let you know.  If one of you gurus out there already know a method I'm keen to learn.

Thanks,
Greg

The technique you describe Greg is certainly one approach: drop into global container, export to scripted path and then import to either a temp table and process or directly into data tables.

Another idea for docasar is to investigate the availability of an API from the Courier company and skip the excel file completely.

https://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/using-web-services

• 3 months later...

Good morning.

My apologies for a very late reply. 

Thank you for this idea BCooney - exporting to a temporary folder, then importing it back again.  
(I didn't look that far - I was thinking it could be imported directly from the field.)

Cheers. :)

Greg

This topic is 2124 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.