Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Display of Related Records in Portal

PTKen

This topic is 7972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm hoping to use Instant Web Publishing for the sake of speed in developing my database. I've tried the various formats that are available when I setup Web Companion and I've noticed something:

In the versions that support newer functionality, a portal will be displayed in a listbox with a scroll bar on the side and all related records are in this window. If there are more records than will fit in the display, you can scroll to see additional records. Clicking on a record takes you to a page that allows you to edit one or many of the related records, as well as any other fields on that layout.

In the versions that support only older functionality, when there is a portal on the layout, all related records are displayed statically. The display expands to show all related records and even each record (if it has more lines of text than would fit in the layout, for example) will expand to show the text of the entire record. However, you cannot click on a related record to edit it's contents, since the text is displayed statically.

My question is this: Is there some way to get the best of both of these? For my database, I would ideally like to have the entire record of every related record displayed so that the user does not have to scroll the listbox OR the record itself to see all of the text (it can all be seen at once), but I would also like to make sure that the related records can be edited. If I have to, I'll just use one of the options that allows editing, but I'd like to know if there is a technique that will do this (it doesn't have to be Instant Web Publishing, but of course that would be easier!).

I'm using FMP 6 hosted on Mac OS X 10.1.5. Thanks!

Ken

This topic is 7972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.