Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Viewing the Last Record

This topic is 7627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I have recently converted our databases over to IWP using FMPro 6. In one of the primary DB's there is one particular record that displays fine in FM but produces an IE error (see attached) when I try to access that particular record from a browser. I can navigate to any of the other records just fine. It's just this one record! I get the same error when I try to Search or Sort. As an expiriment I tried setting up Web Companion so it would sort the records before it reaches the Browser... I got all the records but once again, when I navigated to that one record.. Ouch!

Unsorted, this "bad" record is the last one, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of indexing problem or something that Web Companion can't handle when it generates the HTML??? Again it produces no problem whatsoever in FM. I keep looking at the DB in Table view and I can't detect any sort of Key violation or thing like that. Anyone have any ideas what might be hapening here?

Once again I will attempt to post an image of the error. You may notice the token in the URL that refers to the number of the record. when I play with it, it appears to by one less the the actual record number. (I assume that's because Javascript, or what ever its using is 0 based.)

Jeff

FM_IE error.jpg

First let me say that I have never used IWP. I have, however, read as many of the threads on IWP as I could. That in mind ...

"I assume that's because Javascript, or what ever its using is 0 based."

Never assume. Research. Of course, asking questions is a form of research.

IWP does use some JavaScript. But it also uses CDML tags. a token could be used by either.

You have no idea which it is (not that I do) and you have a problem. Basically the problem with IWP is that FM generates the HTML/CDML. It does so based on your design abilities combined with an understanding of how FM generates the HTML/CDML. Not that you can control the code directly, but you must be able to design your solution to work with this self-generating code over which you have no direct control.

I am a solutions designer of CWP. As with IWP, there is a learning curve with CWP. I recommend going the latter route. I've told you as much as I can about IWP, except, I don't believe there are any explanations (.pdf's, etc.) of how to control your db design to take full advantage of IWP. If there were such a reference, I'm sure someone will refer you to it. But don't hold your breath waiting for that to occur.

• Newbies

Hey, thanks for your response. when you say, "As with IWP, there is a learning curve with CWP..." I must comment that I think the whole bleedin' idea of IWP is that there is NO learning curve.. thats its problem. What you see is apparently what you get. No frills, Do not pass GO... Garbage in, Garbage out sort of thing... (sigh!)

So I guess really the only solution is to go to CWP... which I'm going to do.. but boy its not easy finding documentation on it! I tried using the CDML module that FileMaker provides.. but the examples won't work with 6.0 .. only 5.5 for some reason... How did you go about finding docs for the "learning curve"?

I have a fair amount of Cold Fusion experience.. I can't imagine CDML would be a whole lot different would it?

Jeff

In the Sample Files forum are several examples of web enabled databases which use CWP. Help yourself to any or all of them.

I have not converted any files to 6.0, but if there are any language differences (I think .fp5 is the accepted suffix with 5, 5.5 and 6) you can always make a change in the format files. But basically all of these examples should work for you. They will show you some of the ways in which CDML tags are embedded in HTML. They have useful ideas and information.

A daily reading of the Internet forums to see what problems are being experienced and what problems have been solved and how is also very useful.

"What you see is apparently what you get. No frills, Do not pass GO... Garbage in, Garbage out sort of thing... (sigh!)"

But that's what WYSIWYG is all about - it ain't the Hokey Pokey. laugh.gif

This topic is 7627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.