FileMaker with IWP behaves like single user app.

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm logged into my FM solution using FMDev6. I've enabled my solution to IWP. I logged into using web browser. So now I have 2 users logged into my solution. One FM regular and one through the IWP. But FileMaker behaves like single user application, is that true? Found set, that is performed to webuser is also performed to FM user. It doesn't make a sence to have my solution on the web.

Thanx for help.

bzzi

Hello, bzzi! The command and actions performed by web users can make your screen jump on the host, but if you set your database for multi-user and access it through your network using the OPEN > HOSTS method, no one will notice each other except in cases where 2 users try to modify the same record... the first user will have priority while the second user can only view, not edit.

I hear it is not recommended that you try to work directly from the host when you have web users for exactly the reason you mentioned. Personally, I like seeing web users interact w/the database on the host screen. I use it as a visual indicator that the db is serving properly and I can see how busy it is without checking the logs.

--ST

• Newbies

Thank you guys.

I have a database file and one user who works with that file every day, all day long he browses data and puts new ones. Then there is a manager, who wants to see sometimes those data and I don't want to install FM to that manager. Problem is, that regular user can't work that time.

I think, there's a solution where I will make additonal database file, that will be used to IWP. But I don't know, what relationship should be between regular DB file and IWP file? I want to see all the record in IWP. Do you know? Thanx.

... bzzi

Hello, bzzi! Custom Web Publishing is also single-threaded so I do not see many choices for you if you do not want to use another copy of FileMaker.. If you want 2 databases with the same information, I think you would have to script it and have the main user update 2nd database periodically. I do not know relational databases very well, but I suppose you could make a portal to show the information of interest to the manager. Your key field could be your customer ID number or something, depending on what the manager uses most often. --ST

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.