Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Fuzzy Find in 7 using global?

This topic is 7285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Forgive me but I don't have the new 7 here at work so don't remember what it's called. There is an option in find now that will find part of a word - anywhere within the field.

I played with it. If I set the find to INDA, it will find Linda - for example. However, I can't get it to work right. I established a global text field to hold the search criteria and a calculation (concentanated text) with FirstName & " " & LastName & " " & PhoneNumber.

I want Users to type what they want in the global then use SetField - this calculation field - using a fuzzy find thing. But when I write this script, it won't work:

Enter Find []

Set Field [calc field, global]

Perform Find --- and indicate the fuzzy symbol - it doesn't work. It only inserts the fuzzy symbol in the field.

Oh dear. I shouldn't be posting when I don't know the exact things to tell you. I hope you understand what I mean because I don't remember what the symbol looked like - it's new in Find at the bottom of the symbols and I was very excited about it. Test find works but scripting it doesn't.

How can I combine this great fuzzy symbol with criteria a User enters in a global field??? Or am I attacking it all wrong? I love the new 7 but don't understand how to take advantage of it yet. smile.gif I want Users to only enter into one field (a global???) and then fuzzy find the concetanated calc ... I think. Help please?

Linda

The feature you are referriing to 'relaxed search' is provided to support Japanese. It will not be useful in for English.

From the help file:

"Japanese characters using a relaxed search method that does not differentiate between Hiragana/Katakana, Voiced/Semi-Voiced/Unvoiced Kana, Small/Regular Kana, and Kana Voiced/Unvoiced Iteration Marks (only works when finding in a Japanese-indexed field) "

-Colleen

Hmmm, well, I've been working from my laptop out of a hotel room - handling a crisis so haven't had time to re-check FM7 and test this find again. BUT ... I had entered in the script, INSERT ~inda and ran the script ...

And it found Linda. I don't use a foreign version - in fact, I was using the demo version downloaded from FM's website at the time. This 'relaxed' feature (sorry I called it fuzzy ... couldn't remember its name) is pretty cool to have in a script if I can figure it out.

So ... in the new FM7, how can I enter something in a global text field (only part of a name even if not at the beginning of the name) and have it find it? Before, I had to use PatternCount and Insert Calculated Results (I think). But it seems that 7 might handle it better. Doesn't this work for anyone else but me? It was a new file I created just for testing purposes and I don't think I had changed anything in it - like ASCII or stuff like that. Could someone test it for me? It's great having these symbols in the new script box for finding but what good are they if you can't combine them with something else to produce your results? If ~global can be used, that's ideal, isn't it? Then search a calculated concentanted field with all fields to search.

Can someone test this relaxed feature for me please? I'm not sure Stephen how CR would help here. I probably didn't explain what I'm trying to do. I want someone to enter part of something (name, phone) in a field ... then do a relaxed search (basically a pattern search) anywhere within the concatenated calc.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I think FM has provided INSERT (symbols) in the scripts for a reason ... and it doesn't make sense that it's just to use with Insert Calculated Results, is it?

Linda

Oh yes, *! But one can't use Set Field for it can they? When including in a script, I've always had to use Insert Calculated Result. ???

I was hoping the new FM7 allowed more ways to handle the issue - I thought this relaxed find was one. I don't know what I was doing, but now it won't work for me. It had been late (too late) and I was tired (too tired) and I must have been hallucinating. No, it doesn't work using the tilde. I guess I'll still have to script Insert Calculated Result for finding things from a script. Sorry everyone for my ignorance.

In FM7 would want "*fred*" to find 'fredrick' as well as 'Alfred'.

Having a single star, as in "*fred" will only find fred at the end of a word. "fred" by itself is equivilent to "fred*", but this auto-star doesn't occur if there is a *, @, or # typed in the pattern.

• 1 month later...

Ok. I'm back to trying to do this. Here is what I need.

I want someone to type into a field and what they type will be found ANYWHERE within the field even if in the middle of a word. So I want to take what they enter and add * before and after it, right? Then paste that into my field.

How do I script something like this? I tried copying the field, then using Set Field (the field) with:

* & (the field) & *

...but of course the text is on clipboard. I tried paste also and couldn't get it to work.

Can someone walk me through how I can let someone type something, then always surround it with * to find it no matter where it appears in the field? It is probably simple but I'm just not getting it. Thank you so much.

ps. I can't let them put the text into the field until they are in Find mode. And once in Find mode, I can't grab it again and add *. I'm now totally confused.

Lin

This topic is 7285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.