Server Maintenance This Week. ×

My Layouts > HTML?

This topic is 7347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't know if this is in the right forum or if it is even possible with FM but here it goes. I know there is the Instant Web Publishing feature of FM to host your databases online for others but, what if I just want to take my "List Layout" (which displays some info about all my records) and have an HTML file made that I can put up on my web server?

Example:

Say my FM database is a list of CD's I have. My List Layout shows the CD Art, Title, Year, etc etc, with each row being one record. Can FM take that list and turn it into an HTML file for my website?

I know I can do PDF's of the different layouts / screens but what about HTML?

Thanks

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi, Sintax! I've only used IWP a couple times to help folks w/IWP questions but since you haven't gotten an answer yet...

I would think that if you used IWP to publish your list and then visited that desired page, you could then copy the source code for your HTML... sort of. FileMaker generates HTML code for your web browser using templates and database data so the end result is "finished" HTML. Having the HTML is not the same as copy/pasting the HTML source code from the page and having it work, though. You may find all your images missing and links broken but you'll get something like the basic format of the page whose code you use.

To kinda see what I mean, just VIEW SOURCE for this page, copy/paste it into a new HTML page, and then view that page in a browser.

Good luck!

--ST

Steve T. -

Thanks for responding smile.gif

I know all about HTML as I am a web programmer. I am writing a stand alone application in FM 7 Developer. I wanted the user to be able to click on a button and the "List View" would be spit out in an HTML table or something that they could post on a website.

I guess FM doesn't have that kind of capability. I didn't want to use its built in file server or any of that... I just wanted it to create a new file in HTML format.

This topic is 7347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.