Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is there a Mac OS X/FP7 expert out there?

This topic is 7327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to do something with a container field that goes beyond my expertise (meaning it requires AppleScript). I would be grateful for any assistance you experts out there might lend.

Here's what I am trying to do. I have a container field that contains an embedded PDF file (not just a reference). Right now, I have a script to import the file and another script to export it back out. I would like to simplify the "export" process if possible.

What I am hoping is that I can click a button to launch a FP script that will export the file and then automatically launch an Applescript to open the PDF in Preview.

If anyone could walk me through this process, I would be most appreciative.

Kindest regards,

Mark

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

The Troi file plugin is basically a Windows plugin. There isn't much point in using it on the Mac, most of what it does can be done natively.

If you want to use AppleScript it's not very difficult. It's pretty the same process no matter what tool you use. The embedded file is just a new twist on the same thing.

Your basic problem is that FileMaker can only export as a pre-named file to a known location, without user interaction, whether it's records in 6 or field contents in 7. So the trick is to rename and/or move the file somewhere else, if you want to keep the file.

If you don't mind overwriting the file each time, then you don't have to rename it, just open it. That would be a little weird, 'cause the window's title would always be the same.

As Stephen says, the OpenURL step would do it. Or, using AppleScript, just tell the Finder to open the file. The Finder uses the default application for the file. Example:

tell application "Finder"

YES, yes, yes! Thank you. I knew it was simple but I am an Applescript idiot so I did not know where to start. If I may impose, is there a way using Applescript to delete the file (move it to the trash) once it has opened? IOW, I am opening the file on the desktop in preview but then I want it immediately deleted.

Thanks again,

Mark

OK. I figured out how to delete it (just add a line to "delete file" in the AppleScript).

So, now I have exactly what I was looking for (and have added a heretofore missing function to FP 7)

As shown on the attached screenshot, my document container has three buttons beneath it. One inserts a file into the container, the second allows the user to view it (wothout saving anything) and the third allows the user to export the file (retaining its original name).

Thanks to each of you for your assistance.

Kindest regards,

Mark

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Picture 2.jpg

This topic is 7327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.