Server Maintenance This Week. ×

No fields are defined in the data source

This topic is 5791 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Argh, this is driving me nuts. I contracted a few people to put in data on to a spreadsheet in Excel, and now I'm trying to import this data in to the "LawCases" database, and for some reason, I'm able to import them fine straight from the excel file, but when I try to import them from another .fp7 file that I have imported the excel data in to (in order to mess around with the serial numbers easily), the damned thing keeps giving me this message! I'm able to do it from the "Clients" layout, and the BoxesMatters layout, for some reason, but not any of the others..

Please help, this could take days if I'm not able to mess around with serial numbers on a seperate file (this one is way too complicated).

Well, you do have to be on a layout that's associated with the table into which you wish to import. I don't know why it would say no fields are defined, unless you're on a table's layout which has no fields defined and, therefore, cannot be imported.

Hmm, well, I guess at least I know it's a bug now, so I don't have to wrack my brain trying to solve it. Is there any way to put serial numbers in to excel, then? IE, make a calculation for every cell in a column to be (starting number) + row number? That would make this so much easier.. I think I'm going to use a rusty spoon as a deadly weapon otherwise.

Not sure what you are doing, sorry. You can drag an Excel spreadsheet onto your FileMaker icon and it will create an FM7 file for you. You can then use Replace Contents to quickly serialize them or 'mess around with them.' You can even make the first row in Excel the field names and then FM will use those as the field names when it creates the new FM7. You can then work on it, export as tab or delimited, and then import back into Excel with the new serials easily.

And you can also export from this 'wonky' FM7 file that wouldn't import back into another FM7 file. If you've already done work in it, I'd use it. It will export that data (with the serials) just fine - as text delimited or any other format. Then import into your 'Laws'file that way. Does that help you?

Whatever it is you wish to do, it is possible. I'm just unsure what exactly you're trying to accomplish. Many ways to go here ... except the one you used. Exporting data as an FM7 isn't always dependable and you may get this error message when trying to then import back into another FM7 file. But all other import/export methods work wonderfully. Oh. And put the rusty spoon away. We'll help you accomplish whatever you need. smirk.gif

LaRetta

Yeah.. I'm not sure about this export function. I've fiddled around with it a bit, but the main reason I gave up was because it couldn't directly export to an excel file. So.. I can export to a .tab file, and then import that (from excel?) to an excel file, and then import that excel file to a .fm7 file?

Oookay, that sounds like fun.

• 3 years later...

I was getting the "No fields are defined in the data source" error window and it turned out to be incorrect security settings in the Accounts and Privileges. I didn't get the error window when I was logged in as an administrator, but when I logged in to test the user security settings, the import script threw the error. To fix it, all I did was change the user privileges on the table I was importing. Voila, error gone.

If what I just explained didn't make sense, make your script that imports the records Perform WITH dialog instead of WITHOUT. When you run the script, it may become clear. Check to see if all the settings are correct. For me, one of the tables was "unknown" because the user rights were set to not view it...

This topic is 5791 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.