Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web Security and Usernames

This topic is 8656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know of a way, once a user has logged in with a username and password, to have their personal info (i.e. name, dept, phone,etc) automatically entered on a web form?

I am trying to automate data entry via the Web and being able to "access" the username would be really helpful. I don't want them to have to enter their info repeatedly.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

Donna,

I suggest taking a look at the ExactSearch capability of the Web Security Database. Using this feature, a user could enter a password of some sort and then the rest of their information (address, phone, etc.) could be pulled from the matching record. Of course, doing this requires Custom Web Publshing and enabling the Web Security Database.

--Brian

This sounds like a job for cookies!

Web Companion handlies cookies quite well, only a few CDML tags judiciously placed and everything will work.

You'll need a form or something to generate the cookies, then CurrentCookie CDML on the other forms to automatically enter the data. Don't forget to create a few pages that will allow people to change the cookies themselves, and save you a bit of time and trouble later on.

People will need to enter their details ONCE than the cookies can enter it after that.

• Newbies

I may be missing something here, but is it necessary here to present the info on the web page at all? Would it suffice to simply represent the user data in the database record itself through a relationship?

The related data can be viewed on your site if you wish, but does the user need to "see" their data being input into the database?

If you create two fields in FMP, user name and password and then when a user enters these to access the site in a -find form, make the user name the -token. e.g. in the access form set the -token=[fmp-field:user name]. After this set the -token=[fmp-currenttoken] on every link or form request. This way you can keep track of each user. When they wish to find their contact details for e.g. use the -find command in conjuction with field:user name=[fmp-currenttoken].

May I recommend the book "FileMaker Pro and th World Wide Web" by Jesse Feiler, it covers all of these types of issues.

[This message has been edited by maska (edited August 22, 2000).]

This topic is 8656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.