Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web Security - Logout

This topic is 8602 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know if there is a way to send a "logout" command to the web security database?

I need diferent users to be able to login to a database from the same machine.

Once "user a" logs in FM seems to assume that any additional accesses are from the same user. Is there a time out feature?

BTW I'm using CDML "Custom Web Publishing" with FMP5 and MacOS 9.04

With Sharing set to either "Single-User" or "Multi-User" Netscape 4.08 or newer (Mac) and IE 4.5 or newer (Mac) release when they are quit and restarted.

IE 4.01 (Mac) however does not release.

If anyone comes across any additional info on this let me know.

I would think that FMP would provide some CDML tag that allows you to force "[FMP-ClientUserName] to 0" so that a "Logout" command could be enforced.

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Arin:

If the Client Machine (IE 4.1) is restarted then the Login info is finally released.

I have a question related to this one. Suppose someone logs in to the site, and then they surf to a completely different site (like Yahoo or something). Does the database still track them as logged in since they didn't close their browser? Or does it have a timeout for a specified period of inactivity? Maybe there is a Logout command that you can place as a hyperlink for logged in people to click?

In my experience, I have found taht FP5 tracks web users by their IP address, username, and password. So, in answer to your question, until you quit your browser, FP5 "remembers" your IP address and login even if you leave the site and return later. I too would love to find a work-around for the logout situtation. It seems that this needs to be a definite future upgrade to CDML and the Web Companion. But it is understandable that it isn't as simple as just "logging out" since FileMaker is tracking three distinct pieces of information about each access point.

Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by jwtidwell:

In my experience, I have found taht FP5 tracks web users by their IP address, username, and password. So, in answer to your question, until you quit your browser, FP5 "remembers" your IP address and login even if you leave the site and return later. I too would love to find a work-around for the logout situtation. It seems that this needs to be a definite future upgrade to CDML and the Web Companion. But it is understandable that it isn't as simple as just "logging out" since FileMaker is tracking three distinct pieces of information about each access point.

Jeff

Jeff, Good point! It should be in future versions of FMP. But a thought struck me: - in this discussion, everyone keeps saying that the reason you can't "log out" is because releasing the client is a "browser" function, not a filemaker one...smiles. So does anyone know the browser function that does this? It is HTML pages after all. Maybe we could provide a link that "tells" the browser to release the client without having to exit the browser. Another consideration is that maybe different browsers have different ways of doing this. It would be interesting to get the answer to this one.

• 3 weeks later...

This conversation has occurred elsewhere in the forum... basically FMP is NOT tracking or remembering the person logged-in. FMP never sees them, Web Companion is the interface between the web user and FMP.

But that is irrelevant too... because the username and password is remembered by *the browser* which is why quitting and restarting it solves the problem.

MsIE is a real pain because it persistently remembers site passwords between sessions. In this case the information needs to be deleted from the Internet Options control panel or MsIE preferences or wherever.

This topic is 8602 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.