FMPro, web companion & cgis

This topic is 8563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using FMPro 4.1, and would like to be able to access the database from a cgi (preferably in MacPerl, but I'm flexible depending on what is easiest). I would like the FMPro -format page to be returned to my cgi for further processing.

Does anyone know how to send a request like this to FMPro from a cgi, including how to pass the parameters?

Thank you,

Phil K

Use Web Companion. It's a cgi interface for FileMaker Pro databases.

I guess you already know that and wonder why I repeat it here... the answer is that I reckon that you'd be reinventing the wheel doing cgi stuff with Perl.

I dunno whether Lasso can help. Anybody else know?

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply. I'm already using web companion. But the problem is that I would like to be able to extract parameter information from the URL (and the web companion external functions [at least with FMPro 4.1] don't provide access to environmental variables like QUERY_STRING) and I would ideally also like to be able to do a bit of additional post-processing on the format file. That's why I'm stuck with an additional cgi.

If anyone knows a different way to extract the QUERY_STRING (all the info after the question mark) from the URL and get that information into FMPro, I could also work with that.

I really appreciate whatever help anyone can give.

Phil

Perhaps you could use the [FMP-LinkID] tag (or something similar, I am at home and don't have the cdml reference with me) and pop that value into a hiddeen field on the form? I've not tried it...

Remember that the URL generated is actually quite simple although it looks hard. You probably already know what the -db and -lay tags will be; same for the -format tag in most cases. Depending on the form action, you've only got search criteria and sort criteria to contend with. Search criteria could be easy to put into a form with the [FMP-CurrentSearch] tag, sort criteria I'm not sure about unless it's canned and then you'll know what it is and can use a hidden field to pass it to a db.

This topic is 8563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.