Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Status(CurrentError) not working on -Edit

This topic is 8678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a file that gathers customer information. I have it set up to require fields and give error messages when the fields are not filled in. This works great when the user is entering information for the first time (using the -new command) but it does not pick up the error when editing the record (using the -edit command).

For instance, if they are required to enter a user name, when they create an account the first time and they leave out the user name the program will tell them so and will not continue. However, later in the program, if they edit their user information and decide to delete their user name and click continue, it will act as though everything is fine and go on to the next step.

Is there a reason it's doing this?

For a more difficult question...

Is there a way to tell the user which field they left blank rather than just showing the generic "you left one or more required fields blank, please go back and double check" type of error message? Can I get the CDML to capture which field was left blank and give a more specific error message?

You may try writing a script which checks each field and which would use an exit script message to cause the error message to appear.

If [field1 = ""]

Exit Script

Else

If [field2 = ""]

Exit Script

Else ...

End If

Then command the script from your format file.

Peace

Keith M. Davie

• 1 month later...

This topic is 8678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.