Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Change or revert field after IWP disconnect

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(Please note that my solution is still in its testing phase, and that when I say something works a certain way, it has not yet been fully implemented)

This solution is part of an order shipping problem. Here are the facts.

When one of the salesman creates an order, all the items on that order are placed on a list to pull the items on the order out of the warehouse. This list is shown on a held device running Opera, using IWP.

Since orders can be very large, it's possible that many people will be pulling a single order at the same time. Each item on the order is it's own record, which are shown one at a time for the user as he or she pulls the item. Currently, when a user enters a particular record, it sets that record's status to something like "Picking in progress - " & Get( AccountName ). Once the correct quantity of the item has been pulled, the status is changed to "Picked - " & Get( AccountName ), and the user is sent to the next available record.

A record is considered 'available' if it's status does not begin with 'Pick' (meaning the item has not been picked, and nobody else it picking it at the moment). This is working wonderfully, and no two users are ever shown the same item to pick at the same time. If a user decides to skip an item and go to the next, the status is changed to "" before they go to the next record.

My problem comes with disconnects. Being that this is a warehouse, the users will be moving around a lot, potentially being disconnected as they switch between access points. Also, since there may be a long delay between two items being picked, Filemaker may disconnect an idle user (even though I've been sure to uncheck the 'Disconnect user from Filemaker Server when idle' option in the Privilege set. They will still be disconnected and have to re-login). Most commen, however, is that, after a long period of no use, the user's session will time out. If a user is disconnected while viewing a record, there is nothing explicitly telling the record to change it's status back to "", and the item may not get picked.

Is there any way to tell Filemaker to, when a user is disconnected, change a field in the record that user is currently looking at to a certain value? Does the "When Closing this File" option work for disconnects?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thought I would update on this. After some (rather boring) testing of starting the handhelds, then letting them sit there until they disconnected, it seems that Filemaker DOES run logout scripts when there is a session time out, so that factor alone should work for this solution. Hopefully this will be useful to anyone with a similar question.

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.