Time Clock (Globals)

This topic is 5110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All

I am in the process of making a time clock, that would allow people to punch in using IWP.

My UI uses globals, and only a single record. There are other tables that take care of the data. The data processing takes about 5 seconds, and uses the globals to find the correct record to modify.

My concern is having two people punching in at the same time.

How would IWP handle this?

Is there a better method?

There will be no problem with two people punching in or out at the same time, since they won't be editing the same record simultaneously according to your description. If this is for hourly workers, you might want to issue them laminated timecards with a barcode on them; this way, when they take lunch or clock back in from lunch, breaks, etc, they can do so more quickly and with less chance of error, simply by sliding barcode under scanner. An employer of mine used Filemaker with a USB scanner and it worked well for this. They also had it set up to log time to specific project codes using barcodes. They later used FM for parts inventory by placing barcode labels on the parts bins, and simply scan the code with a cordless scanner, when a part is removed for use. For report generation, the solution should handle personnel accidentally missing a punch or double punching, say, a few seconds apart from one another.

Thanks for the post. The scanner is a good idea, but I am setting it up to work over IWP, so anyone on our network will be able to punch from any computer in the building.

I have a bunch of traps built in, and a "problem finder" script. It looks for negative hours, anytime there are an odd number of punch it produces a neg. It also looks for people with only two punches, which would be someone who did not punch for lunch.

This topic is 5110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.