Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help to email a windows network path.

Justin Grigg

This topic is 4619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hello,

I am running reports that are currently creating PDFs and emailing them to my staff. This worked great when we were smaller, but now the files are getting too big and going to to many people. So, I finally convinced my Director to let me save the files to a network storage folder, but with the condition that I include a link to the file. I am having an issue with the link part. It's just a calculated piece of text that I need in the body of the email. This is and example of what I am trying to create. It's just a windows link and the pdf is named the employee's last name.

"\\192.168.101.1\Reports\HR\" & test::employee lname & ".pdf"

It highlights the period in pdf and gives me the error "This number cannot be evaluated."

The issue is the \ after HR. I thought that everything inside the quotes was treated as text, can anyone shine some light on this issue?

Thanks,

Justin

The "\" (back slash) character is interpreted by FileMaker as the ESCAPE character, which basically means that then next character should be interpreted literally as there are some characters that have to be instructed this way - the " (quote) character for example.

Basically for each instance of "\" you need a "\\"

"\\" & "\\" & "192.168.101.1" & "\\" & "Reports" & "\\" & "HR" & "\\" & test::employee lname & ".pdf"

This topic is 4619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.