ODBC Import on Filemaker Server

This topic is 4538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I'm trying to import ODBC tables (from a VisualFoxPro database) into my database located on a FileMaker Server. The ODBC source / DSN are located on the same computer as my Server. The trouble is, when I try to import the tables, either from the File menu or by setting up a script, I can only choose my LOCAL DSNs, not the ones setup on the server. Any suggestions?

I am eventually going to want to to server-scheduled scripts, but this task is more specifically about having a user activate a script that will run an import from the ODBC source to the Filemaker database, all on the server side. And since the source is VisualFoxPro, a live External Data Source is not an option :sad:

Thanks for any help!

• 4 weeks later...

You can only use the server DSNs for the ESS feature and that one supports only Oracle, MS SQL, mySQL. Visual FoxPro is not supported.

So you're stuck to doing this from a workstation. You can build a "robot" workstation for this.

An alternative is to write some sort of middleware on the server to do the ODBC retrieval from VFP and produce a CSV file that a FMS schedule can then import.

This topic is 4538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.