Server Maintenance This Week. ×

The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start...

This topic is 3545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have tried, way to many hours, to get fmsadmin running. When I go to localhost:16000 I get this error.

"The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first."

The server is running. I just can launch the Admin Console. I see the processes fmadminserver.exe, fmserver.exe, fmshelper.exe running and the service is running as well.

I have uninstalled it and java and bonjour and reinstalled them numerous times with the same result. I have deleted temp files in java, moved the server folder for filemaker. I am out of ideas

Windows Server 2003

Filemaker server 11 advance 11.03

Java 6 v16

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

The version of java you've listed looks old to me (Java 6 v16) .. just checked the FM knowledge base and FMS11v3 requires Java 6 v24:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9283

Seems to me that the v3 updater for FMS is supposed to install it so verify with the Java control panel what versions of java you have installed and which one is the active one.

Ok. One last attempt here before I look for a new job. Trying a clean slate, well as clean as I can get without formatting the server.

1. Uninstall Filemaker Server, Bonjour, Java from add and remove programs

2. Delete c:program filesfilemaker directory

3. What else can I remove to start fresh? this is where I need yours guys help to help me fill in the blank...

Thanks

Thom

direct download link for v3: http://fmdl.filemaker.com/maint/emea_fba_ftn/fms_11.0.3.309.exe

I have never deleted any java folders when going through an excercise like this.  For good measure, delete all temp files and browser cookies too.  Maybe use CCleaner to do a general system and registry cleanup

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update, not a good one but it is an update. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling with 11.3. No luck. I also read somewhere that filemaker may get confused on the ethernet adapter and to install it with the ethernet adapter disabled. Tried that. I am basically out of ideas. I find it hard to believe I am the only one with this issue.

Thanks

Thom

Not quite sure where you got your info about the ethernet adapter.  It is true that FMS takes stock of what ethernet adapters are there and what IP addresses they have.  But we're talking about a server with a fixed IP address (right?) and just one ethernet adapter so there should be no issue there.

If you do have multiple NICs in the machine, use the OS features to team them up so that they appear as just one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I encountered this problem twice in the last two weeks.

The first time, I did what no1tmorrow recommended, and it worked:

1. Delete the FileMaker Server Admin Console Java Applet.
  2. Uninstall FileMaker Server, Java, and Bonjour.
  3. Delete the Program File folders for FileMaker Server, Java, and Bonjour.
  4. Disabled all of my Network Adapters.
  5. Reinstalled FileMaker Server.
  6. Enabled all of my Network Adapters.

However, I was unable to do this when installing FileMaker Server remotely. I was also able to fix the problem by following the instructions for resetting the FileMaker Admin Console Password (Search FMKB: 6989):

1. Delete the FileMaker Server Admin Console Java Applet.
  2. Navigate to the FileMaker Admin Conf directory:
    1. [drive]:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerAdminconf
  3. Delete the following 4 xml files:
    1. managerconfig.xml
    2. server_config.xml
    3. wpe_workerconfig.xml
    4. ws_workerconfig.xml
  4. Restart the FileMaker Admin Server from the command line:
    1. [drive]:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerDatabase Serverfmsadmin.exe restart adminserver

This problem had been driving me crazy for days. I hope this helps someone else!

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem again, I have tried no1tmorrow and E.J. Sexton suggestions. It was worked last time I get this error, but not this time. I have found a solution, and I am writing here for the record.

Let me explain my case:

The server was running without problem, after Windows Server update the problem occurred. Database can not be started. There wasn't any error code in event log file. The last entry was like below:

2014-07-24 08:02:15.911 +0300	Information	406	fmserver	Starting FileMaker Database Engine...

After dozens of reinstalling and restarting process, I have looked FileMaker Server Service from services window. I changed Log On settings of FileMaker server Service like the image below. And now FM Server is running works.

post-60668-0-63907400-1406252003_thumb.p

Server specs for this case is : FileMaker Server 11 on Windows 2012 Standard. 2,13 Ghz Xenon processor with 16 GB of ram.

post-60668-0-63907400-1406252003_thumb.p

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Same Problem here, I have struggled and finally fixed the problem. Trying to spare time next time this happens, I have created a brief step by step guide to troubleshoot the issue. Here it is:

1) Make sure the Firewall is not creating an issue (disable it, and try to connect to localhost:16000 again)

2) Make sure Java has not decided to update itself (check version)...in case unisntall current updated version and downgrade to

last working version, disable automatic updates from now on (this is a security issue, but is necessary)

3) Try to make a clean Reboot of the Server:

- manually arrest filemaker Server Sevice, and set that a "manual" start
    - manually arrest Bonjour Service, and set that a "manual" start
    - kill the remaining fm* processes
    - Reboot the machine and restore all databases with the last working backup
    - Restart manually both Bonjour anf Fialemaker Server services
    - Try to launch Admin Console

4) Force a re-deployment of the Server:

Delete the FileMaker Server Admin Console Java Applet.
    Navigate to the FileMaker Admin Conf directory:
        [drive]:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerAdminconf
    Delete the following 4 xml files:
        managerconfig.xml
        server_config.xml
        wpe_workerconfig.xml
        ws_workerconfig.xml
    Restart the FileMaker Admin Server from the command line:
        [drive]:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerDatabase Serverfmsadmin.exe restart adminserver

5) If Nothing works and you need to really uninstall/reinstall FMS, proceed as follows:

A. Go to Services and manually stop 1. Filemaker Server Service and 2. Bonjour service

B. Go to Control Panel and Uninstall 1. FMS_AdminConsole 2. Bonjour  3. Java 4. Filemaker Server

C. Restart the System and Get rid of the Filemaker Server Folder (backup any database of course).

D. Run CCleaner (or equivalent) to clean up Registry

E. Disable all superfluous Network Adapters (leave just one, the main NIC, VMware virtual adapters are particularly dangerous).

F. Reinstall Clean FileMaker Server from Scratch.

G. Enable all Network Adapters.

The above is essentially a summary of what you can find online (point 5 worked for me, specifically disabling all useless or virtual NIC). Hope that can help

Almosto Forgot to mention: even when Admin Console does not start, the Servier is most likely working fine, so that if you copy the database in the right directory and reboot that is seen anbd is accessible by the FM clients trhough the network. You can manage this textually by fsadmin.exe (read the CLI reference)...not the best option, but still an option.

This topic is 3545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.