How to auto populate master/parent table when importing data into related/child table

This topic is 2035 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have a parent table containing ID and some other basic fields. There are two child tables feeding into this - each with their own set of fields. 

Parent: __pkParentID

Child: __pkChildID, _flParentID,...(other fields)

I have many records that I wish to import from an excel doc into a child table. I can do this, but can't work out how to auto populate the parent table.

Any hints/tips etc?

Thanks in advance.

This topic is 2035 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By stan111
      Gents, 
      there is a price list in Excel with images embedded. Do you have an idea how to import those records into DB with corresponding images preserved?
      Note that I've attached only two records, there are 600 of them. Any manual manipulations with the images is not an option.

price.xlsx
    • By mountainx
      I am trying to import data from a MySQL database and need to somehow also import fieldnames to be the fieldname in FMP. Is there anyway to do that? I have a CSV of the fieldnames and I also have a MySQL dump of fieldnames and associated data.
      Thanks for any help.
    • By winklestork
      I have searched the forum and internet and not found an answer to my delima.
      I have a solution with a scripted import of a csv file. I do not want import dialog (e.g. mapping), so I have it set to no.  I don't know the name of the file, only that it is a csv file. If I leave the filename out of the import dialogue, the default SHOW filetype in the open file dialog is for a filemaker database. The user needs education to change the SHOW to csv or all. That is undesirable. If I import a correct file once, the next time the script runs in that session, it prompts for a csv file, but if I quit the application and run it again, it goes back to SHOWing  filemaker databases. If I provide a bogus file, e.g. YourFile.csv -- I have to capture errors or I get no file dialog for them to find their file. If they cancel, they get a filemaker dialog I don't control that tells them the user aborted the import, continue or cancel. If they cancel, the script exits and I don't get control. That, too, is undesirable.
      What is the best practice for scripted imports so that whether the user complies or cancels, I maintain control of what happens next?
    • By Stickybeak
      I have a parent table which has 3 child tables all of which have a date field.
      I would like to have a field in the parent table which tells me what is the latest date in the 3 child tables so I know the last time there was activity relating to the parent record.
      I can figure it out.

• By dkey
      My FMP pro 15 doesn't allow to import ".avi" and ".mkv" files.
      The error is the files are not the specified file type
      How to do so?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

9 members have viewed this topic:
    Answers  Ron Cates  Dudematters  Lape  bcooney  bruceR  Steve Martino  Ocean West  everythingFileMaker 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.