Filemaker integration with Thumb Print Scanners

This topic is 2014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have been trying to come up with something new in our school project. Is there a way we can integrate thumb print scanners into filemaker, just like with barcode scanners? This time, users (participants) just needs to scan their thumbprints using the scanner, and their attendance is recorded.

I would reccomend some research on the accuracy of fingerprint scanning hardware and software. I remember reading an article somewhere a while back that suggested only the high end (most expensive) fingerprint recognition systems are reliable. Budget alone might lead you down another path.

We do use thumbprint scanners at my school for 6th form registration (not with FM unfortunately!) and they seem fairly reliable as far as I can tell...

Maybe they're high end ones.

I'll try to find out which ones we're using and get more feedback on them. It could be that I'm blissfully unaware that they're rubbish!!

Haven't managed to find out the model yet, but they seem pretty reliable except for one or two kids who can't get them to work and have to sign in..

This topic is 2014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By HOnza
      Our lead developer Milan made his dream come true and built a pond controlled by FileMaker and Raspberry Pi.

The pond contains about 35 cubic meters of water (about 9246 gallons) and it’s 2 meters (6.5 feet) deep in its deepest point. It is equipped with both mechanical and pressurized filter, UV light, pumps for filtration and waterfall, and an air pump. There are water plants, fish, and other water animals living in the pond. To keep the pond in good conditions, Milan has automated control of its environment with the help of Claris FileMaker and Raspberry Pi…
      Click here to read how he made it all work and even watch it in action

• By 360Works
      Scribe 4 - FileMaker OCR Scanning Demo Video
      Today, we wanted to share a practical way to use the new FileMaker OCR and PDF integration features in Scribe 4. If you have a stack of paper with information you need to access from FileMaker, you can easily automate this process with Scribe.
      In this demo video, we will show how you can scan in a stack of paper and extract the text (using OCR) into FileMaker, and have it on individual (spliced) PDF pages.
        Watch the Video   Stay updated with 360Works

Questions? Email: plugins@360Works.com

• By Richard Carlton
      Summer is over and our weekly FileMaker webinars are back! 

Our first one is this Thursday at 11am PDT, on “Relationships for Beginners”. 

Register Here: 
      https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6892433068111504642 

We will spend 30 minutes covering a specific topic. Then the last 30 minutes will be an open Q&A on any topic.

Topic List:
      Sept 13th: Relationships for Beginners
      Sept 20th: Find Records, Date Ranges, and Special Operators
      Sept 27th: Conditional Formatting (Can I making something Red?)
      Oct 4th: Automation (Repetitive Tasks can become Scripts)
      Oct 11th: Reporting & SubSummaries
      Oct 18th: Merge Fields and Hiding Objects (Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak)
      Oct 25th: Sharing your FileMaker App with Co-Workers
      Nov 1st: Basic Concepts for Building Mobile Apps

All the best, 
      Richard Carlton 
      CEO & Video Trainer
    • By fabriceN
      As you know, FileMaker 14 included a new widely used feature: button bars. No need to say why they're awesome, but you've probably noticed it wasn't that easy if you wanted to create a lot of similar buttons, or convert your old button objects into button bars.
      Well, these are not issues anymore, thank's to Federico Basmadyian's ButtonBarTool, available here.

• By Henry Situ
      Anyone interested in partnering together to help small businesses create online forms on a website, then send that link to anyone who wants to fill out that form, then notes can be added to that form.  The small business owners can work with these forms like they'd a spreadsheet.  This enables automation of the business' workflows in a way that's still familiar to FileMaker Pro users. The mobile web app is ready for anyone to start using. Check out a demo at https://formgram.parseapp.com/formPage?formObjectId=ejj8YHJIZy
      Formgram is 100% free.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.