Sign in to follow this  
Agentshevy

Filemaker integration with Thumb Print Scanners

We have been trying to come up with something new in our school project. Is there a way we can integrate thumb print scanners into filemaker, just like with barcode scanners? This time, users (participants) just needs to scan their thumbprints using the scanner, and their attendance is recorded.

No idea, but following with interest!!

I would reccomend some research on the accuracy of fingerprint scanning hardware and software. I remember reading an article somewhere a while back that suggested only the high end (most expensive) fingerprint recognition systems are reliable. Budget alone might lead you down another path.

We do use thumbprint scanners at my school for 6th form registration (not with FM unfortunately!) and they seem fairly reliable as far as I can tell...

Maybe they're high end ones.

I'll try to find out which ones we're using and get more feedback on them. It could be that I'm blissfully unaware that they're rubbish!!

Haven't managed to find out the model yet, but they seem pretty reliable except for one or two kids who can't get them to work and have to sign in..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      Scribe 4 - FileMaker OCR Scanning Demo Video
      Today, we wanted to share a practical way to use the new FileMaker OCR and PDF integration features in Scribe 4. If you have a stack of paper with information you need to access from FileMaker, you can easily automate this process with Scribe.
      In this demo video, we will show how you can scan in a stack of paper and extract the text (using OCR) into FileMaker, and have it on individual (spliced) PDF pages.
        Watch the Video   Stay updated with 360Works

Questions? Email: plugins@360Works.com

• By Richard Carlton
      Summer is over and our weekly FileMaker webinars are back! 

Our first one is this Thursday at 11am PDT, on “Relationships for Beginners”. 

Register Here: 
      https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6892433068111504642 

We will spend 30 minutes covering a specific topic. Then the last 30 minutes will be an open Q&A on any topic.

Topic List:
      Sept 13th: Relationships for Beginners
      Sept 20th: Find Records, Date Ranges, and Special Operators
      Sept 27th: Conditional Formatting (Can I making something Red?)
      Oct 4th: Automation (Repetitive Tasks can become Scripts)
      Oct 11th: Reporting & SubSummaries
      Oct 18th: Merge Fields and Hiding Objects (Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak)
      Oct 25th: Sharing your FileMaker App with Co-Workers
      Nov 1st: Basic Concepts for Building Mobile Apps

All the best, 
      Richard Carlton 
      CEO & Video Trainer
    • By fabriceN
      As you know, FileMaker 14 included a new widely used feature: button bars. No need to say why they're awesome, but you've probably noticed it wasn't that easy if you wanted to create a lot of similar buttons, or convert your old button objects into button bars.
      Well, these are not issues anymore, thank's to Federico Basmadyian's ButtonBarTool, available here.

• By Henry Situ
      Anyone interested in partnering together to help small businesses create online forms on a website, then send that link to anyone who wants to fill out that form, then notes can be added to that form.  The small business owners can work with these forms like they'd a spreadsheet.  This enables automation of the business' workflows in a way that's still familiar to FileMaker Pro users. The mobile web app is ready for anyone to start using. Check out a demo at https://formgram.parseapp.com/formPage?formObjectId=ejj8YHJIZy
      Formgram is 100% free.
    • By Jeff M
      I could really use some help! I'm in a crunch and need a solution fast. Any Applescript FileMaker gurus out there?
      My client sends me (usually weekly) batches of excel documents... hundreds of them. I've created import scripts and parsing scripts to get the data from the excel document into FileMaker, but I need a solid way of batching the import process. Below I'll explain what I currently have, but it's very clunky and errors out quite often, so I could really use some guidance. I can look at applescripts and for the most part understand what they are doing, but I'm no scripter.
      Basic need: Trigger import process in which one at a time, the excel documents are imported into my database and a few additional scripts are run internally. The excel documents come to me as .xlsm files, which FileMaker doesn't like. To overcome this, I change the name to .xls before importing.

Here's what I currently have:
      An applescript app called "Auto-Import" I startup when I'm ready to import a batch. It looks at an IN folder. One by one, it moves the files to a WORKING folder, changes the name, then calls on FileMaker to do a script. FileMaker is set to look for a static file named "importme.xls" in the WORKING folder. It imports, then runs a couple of parsing scripts. After a short delay, the Applescript app changes the filename back to its original name, then moves it to the DONE folder, after which it moves to the next item in the list from the IN folder.
      I found this applescript somewhere and changed the paths and delay amounts until I got it to work...sort of. As you can imagine, I get lots of errors from FileMaker or Applescript trying to move on a do something before the other has finished. Boo.
      Seems like the better way would be to have applescript code within the FileMaker scripts, so everything is controlled by FileMaker. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Or if you know of something similar, point me to it. Please help!

Jeff

• Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    Wickerman 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.