Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charled

Sending datas in a pre-formatted Word document

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm developing a little FMP database on Mac to help creating reports with MS Words. These reports will contain :

- non changing elements : logo and address, first level hierarchy titles…

- some specific datas from FMP : number and name of the affair, name and adress of the client…

- the text of the report directly typed in Word by the user.

So my need is :

- when all the fields are completed, user clics on "Create report" then :

- it creates a new folder with number and name of the affair,

- creates the report file by duplicating from the report template, naming it with number & name of the affair &.doc

- inserts datas from FMP (juste one record)

- add the file into a multimedia field to less user clic on it to open it.

All this by script of course for the user only clics on one button.

So what is the best way or what is the right plug-in for it ? I'm not familiar with Applescript nor VBA so I would prefer not have to use them.

Thanks all for your answers or suggestions.

The only plugin I know that interacts with Word is 306work's Scribe. The OS ops, creating a folder, etc., can be accomplished with their ScriptMaster product.

I'm not familiar with Applescript

Actually, Applescript may be your best option here - other than using a dedicated plugin (plus another plugin for the OS tasks).

What makes Word so attractive as an output format - compared to PDF, for example?

Or even RTF?

RTF is not easily produced either - unlike PDF.

It's definitely worth examining the requirement that the final product is a Word doc. Sometimes, that is a relic of an old workflow, similar to "we must have reports in Excel."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Portal exported to excel spreadsheet only contains one related field once, other fields are empty
      By justakid
      Hi All,
      Sorry if the title is a bit confusing, I wasn't sure how to explain it.
      Basically I've got a layout that contains a portal to another table. abc0198_cpa_v002 and xyz0570_cpa_v0008 are the link to the other table (linked to the table by the first 6 characters)

the problem I have is when I export this I get the following in Excel. I was hoping that the empty fields beneath abc0198_cpa_v002 would be filled with abc0198_cpa_v002.

I can get it to work by going to the related table, searching for those records (abc0198 & xyz0570), but I will fall into the same problem when I receive multiple records that relate to the same record in the other table. IE I might receive abc0198_cpa_v002 and abc0198_cpa_v005 etc.
      I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.
    • Scribe ScribeDocSubstitute Errors - A solution
      By CICT
      I hope this helps anyone that has had to put up with the ScribeDocSubstitute errors when no placeholder string could be found in a document - a problem that has had both us and our clients pulling our hair out.
      The 360Works Scribe help page - http://docs.360works.com/index.php/Scribe#No_occurrences_of_.5Bplaceholder_string.5D_were_found_in_the_document -  offers a solution of retyping an entire placeholder due to the XML creating a split string. We've been doing this, but at times it just doesn't work and we've never seen any evidence in the XML of a split happening.
      However, today we hit a eureka moment and believe the main problem is not split strings, but the use of Tracking under the Review menu in Word. With this switched on there are hidden occurrences of the placeholders in the XML that are referenced by ScribeDocSubstitute. We have had documents where the placeholder(s) has been typed, retyped and typed again (etc.)  but could not get around the error (we have a check that runs whenever we upload a Word template to FileMaker container fields, therefore documents that generate these errors are not allowed into the database). However, we've now been able to clear all errors within a file without retyping a single placeholder as follows:
      open the file generating the errors in Word, click Review, click on the arrow beside/below Accept, select Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking, save the file  and test
      We've been putting up with the placeholder problems since we started using Scribe and hope this helps people avoid the pain we've been through.
      Andy - salefaith.com

• Container Fields and Printing
      By Answers
      In our database solution we have a table that holds other documents relating to the data. The enduser might insert a PDF or a JPG. So the table is made up of a container field, a job number (unique identifier). To view the file the user clicks in the container (script exports field contents and automatically opens).
      The thing we would like to do is when printing a job report if there are any "external documents", would like them to print as well. We want it be be part of the complete report. The container is setup for interactive content and start playback automatically. The script exports the container and imports it back in... on the Mac it produces the correct results, on the PC  it prints as a pdf icon for example. Maybe what I want is not possible. Any suggestions.
    • FileMaker 14 as data source to MS Access
      By mr_mike
      I have a client that would like to use MS Access to connect to a table in a solution hosted on FMS 14.0.3.  What I'm reading suggests that was possible with .fmp5 and .fmp7 but is no longer available in .fm12.  I've tried to use Access and both (mac) Excel and (windows) Excel to connect via ODBC to the FMS hosted table and I can construct the query and see the fields, but when I submit the request I get an error.  Is it still possible to connect Excel or Access to FileMaker 14.0.3 (hosted)?  The error I get appears on the attached screenshot.
      Is anyone currently doing this?  
      Thank you in advance.

• Export Records to Existing Excel Spreadsheets, Is it Even Possible?!
      By drdunse
      So the company I am working for just picked up a huge contract with a cruise line, where we are going to be surveying some of their hardware and other equipment, guess who has two thumbs and is the lucky son of a gun to make the database for this project? This guy!

Anyways, I can't really go into detail for legal reasons, but I can explain what I am looking for.

I'm wondering if there is a way to export the records from the database in filemaker to an existing Excel spreadsheet, and the biggest reason this is the route I'm trying to go is, I based the solution that I've build thus far on the spreadsheet deliverable that they had given us at the beginning of the bidding process. There are several fields in this deliverable that have the same name, which in Excel is no problem, but we work with Filemaker lol, so there's that. Anyway, so I have about 5-6 different types of fields that share the same name in the spreadsheet that i cannot allow in filemaker, so I cannot just set up an export to create an excel document, or else the client would most likely be very unhappy with the deliverable that they receive. So i want to know if there is any way to throw all of my records into the spreadsheet that they gave us starting at a specific cell for each of the 8 (I think it was 8) worksheets in the file. haha the more I type and am reading what i type, the more impossible I feel like this would be. 
      Thank you to anyone who can offer some help or insight, it is greatly appreciated!