Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charled

Sending datas in a pre-formatted Word document

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm developing a little FMP database on Mac to help creating reports with MS Words. These reports will contain :

- non changing elements : logo and address, first level hierarchy titles…

- some specific datas from FMP : number and name of the affair, name and adress of the client…

- the text of the report directly typed in Word by the user.

So my need is :

- when all the fields are completed, user clics on "Create report" then :

- it creates a new folder with number and name of the affair,

- creates the report file by duplicating from the report template, naming it with number & name of the affair &.doc

- inserts datas from FMP (juste one record)

- add the file into a multimedia field to less user clic on it to open it.

All this by script of course for the user only clics on one button.

So what is the best way or what is the right plug-in for it ? I'm not familiar with Applescript nor VBA so I would prefer not have to use them.

Thanks all for your answers or suggestions.

The only plugin I know that interacts with Word is 306work's Scribe. The OS ops, creating a folder, etc., can be accomplished with their ScriptMaster product.

I'm not familiar with Applescript

Actually, Applescript may be your best option here - other than using a dedicated plugin (plus another plugin for the OS tasks).

What makes Word so attractive as an output format - compared to PDF, for example?

It's definitely worth examining the requirement that the final product is a Word doc. Sometimes, that is a relic of an old workflow, similar to "we must have reports in Excel."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By fm8443
      I have 4 Tables of Sales Records (1 per Store) for the same 1000 products (each sold in the 4 Stores).   Table1 (T1) has 30,000 records T2 has 50,000 records T3 has 10,000 records T4 has 10,000 records   The fields in the 4 Tables have different names and contain similar “core” content.   Tables are added to each month with additional records (imported into FM 14 Pro Advanced from Excel).   Unfortunately the same Products are named slightly differently in each of the 4 tables.  Each store / table has a (text) Product-ID but (for the same product) it is different per store. I do want to rectify this “naming problem” (perhaps in a Table #5?)  so I can produce a report showing sales for each of the 1000 products across all 4 stores (grouped by date etc.) I’m not sure how to structure/carry-out this in Filemaker most effectively.  Any ideas?   Ultimately, when the data is clean, I want to upload ALL the records (e.g. 100,000 records) in one export into one Excel spreadsheet so I can run a Pivot Table (Cross-Tab) report.   Do I need to combine the 4 Tables into 1 Master Table before doing an Export on the Master Table? If so, how would I do this?   Thanks for any ideas about this?
    • By shevyshevy
      I have come across this technique severally on this forum, but I can't figure out how this really works. Right now I am faced with a situation that requires similar technique and I can't seem to get it work.
      I have Table A and Table B.
      1. I want to script an import Process that will first export all records in Table A into Table B (kinda A Clone Copy of Table A) Thats just my basic objective
      2. Then from there, I would want to be able to do similar Process but this time, I will only update the records in Table B with that of Table A using a match field.
      3. I will also love to perform the process based on a found count. ie after performing a find of specific records
      I think If I can be guided on achieving NO. 1, then I can similarly script the others..

• By Cyrus
      I'm using Filemaker Pro 11 in Windows 7, trying to automate the exporting of files from container fields.  I've written a script that goes through all the records to export the files in the container fields while skipping empty container fields.  The code works well, except that there are a number of records with container fields where I get the "Container fields cannot be exported." error.  When I try go to these records and try manually exporting the container field contents by right clicking, the "Export Field Contents..." option is grayed out, though I am able to open the document and then manually save it.  There are, however, way too many of these cases for me to practically do this one by one, so I'm hoping if someone has an idea what's going on here and how I might be able to automate the exporting of these fields that are giving me this error.

To help me troubleshoot this, I wrote a shorter code that focused on exporting the field contents of just one record.  This helped me figure out which records were giving me this error.  Here's the code:

If[not(isEmpty(TABLENAME_::FIELDNAME))]
           Set Variable [$filePath; Value:"filewin:" & Get(DocumentsPath) & TABLENAME_::TABLE_ID_FIELD]
           Export Field Contents [TABLENAME_::FIELDNAME; "$filePath"]
      End If

I've been searching and trying a bunch of different things, but with no luck.  Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    • By 34South
      I have developed a solution for IOS devices which also utilizes scripts that facilitate importing of GPS coordinates and especially photos from the device, i.e. iPhone or iPad, within FMGo. Although I have scripted the possibility of emailing images originally captured by the solution outside of the solution, there does not seem to be a possibility for exporting the captured image to the Photos app and thus pushing them to the iCloud. I know one could first capture the image in the Camera app and then import it into a container within the solution, but this distracts from the all-in-one nature of my solution, where quick image capture is paramount. Ideally, the user would use the solution to capture the image and related contextual data, but also elect to save such an image in the Photo app at a later stage to permit sharing it to social media apps, for example.
       I'm fairly advanced, having used FM since the Claris days.
    • By Daniel Shanahan
      First of all, I'm not sure that "placeholder text" is the correct term for the MS Word object.
      I'm working with multiple MS Word documents from the state government.  The content is locked but there seems to be placeholder text that I can tab through.  The placeholder text is highlighted in gray and marked with an asterisk before and after the text (see image).  I'm experiencing a couple of issues:
      1. If I choose the text inside the asterisk, then the substitution works but it leaves the asterisks (see #1 in Scribe_New_doc).
      2. When I choose "Amount", inside the asterisks, a NULL value is returned.  I thought perhaps it would not accept numbers so I created a text field with the same value.  However, this also returns a NULL value (see #2 in Scribe_New_doc).
      3. If I choose all of the text, including the asterisks, then the substitution value is NULL (see #3 in Scribe_New_doc).