Open link in internet explorer FileMaker webdirect

This topic is 2131 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I have a solution running on WebDirect. Each record stores a url that needs to be opened in Internet Explorer only and not other browsers. I know that I can call that url and it will open it in users default web browser. Is there any way of opening it in Internet explorer, no matter what is the default browser?

Regards,

Not really. Doing that would require direct access to the local file system (ie invoking iexplorer.exe) which a sandboxed browser wouldn't allow. In addition, you're already running in a browser, so the url would usually open within that browser.

Maybe the best approach is to not allow any other browsers but IE to access the webdirect solution? You can determine which browser a user is using with some javascript. Unless a user modifies the useragent of course and fools your app into thinking its IE, while it is firefox.

3 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

Not really. Doing that would require direct access to the local file system (ie invoking iexplorer.exe) which a sandboxed browser wouldn't allow. In addition, you're already running in a browser, so the url would usually open within that browser.

Maybe the best approach is to not allow any other browsers but IE to access the webdirect solution? You can determine which browser a user is using with some javascript. Unless a user modifies the useragent of course and fools your app into thinking its IE, while it is firefox.

I was thinking to store a batch or VB script file in a container, then export to a temp folder with automatic open after export. This can run iexplorer.exe and pass the url. 

I am just not quite sure how system security or antiviruses will act against it.

This topic is 2131 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.