Scribe plugin and web direct

This topic is 1869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am investigating moving my database to web direct. To do so I need to get scribe working on fmphost.

I have added a script step to register the plugin - which works fine in self hosted or fmphosted but I still get an error telling me that I need to install the plugin when I try to run it in webdirect.

I have be speaking with fmphost who reported "It turns out the Scribe plugin also needed to be enabled in the FileMaker Server Admin Console. We have enabled the plugin, so it should be working now.".

I am wondering if my license wont work with web direct. My license is described as "360Works Scribe 2.15 / Upgrade from Single User License to Scribe Workgroup License (Upgrade)".

Any ideas?

Edited by Stickybeak

The location where plugins are installed for FileMaker Server is different from where they should be installed for WebDirect.

Install plug-ins for use with WebDirect by dragging the appropriate plugin to FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/Plugins . You'll have to restart the Web Publishing Engine after doing so from the FileMaker Server admin console.

After doing so, try the scribe scripts once more. You can also create a simple script and run it in WebDirect using Show Custom Dialog[ Get(InstalledFMPlugins)] to check if the scribe plugin is installed correctly on WebDirect.

I am wondering if my license wont work with web direct. My license is described as "360Works Scribe 2.15 / Upgrade from Single User License to Scribe Workgroup License (Upgrade)".

If you have a work group license you will not be able to use the plugin server side nor in web direct. This requires an Enterprise license.

7 hours ago, nick360works said:

The location where plugins are installed for FileMaker Server is different from where they should be installed for WebDirect.

Install plug-ins for use with WebDirect by dragging the appropriate plugin to FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/Plugins . You'll have to restart the Web Publishing Engine after doing so from the FileMaker Server admin console.

After doing so, try the scribe scripts once more. You can also create a simple script and run it in WebDirect using Show Custom Dialog[ Get(InstalledFMPlugins)] to check if the scribe plugin is installed correctly on WebDirect.

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect I am missing something.....because I am using a server hosted by someone other than me (I think that's the reason) I cannot get access to the folder path you mention.

FMPhost have told me that they have enabled to plugin.

6 hours ago, ryan360Works said:

If you have a work group license you will not be able to use the plugin server side nor in web direct. This requires an Enterprise license.

Thanks for your reply.

I have upgraded to an enterprise license.

But still giving me the same error message

Edited by Stickybeak

So a bit of digging at online help suggests the enterprise plugin will not run on a shared server

The plugin file is the same regardless of what level your license is. Being on shared server will not impact registration because every script that is run in a web direct or server side script that has plugin function calls will spawn a new instance of the plugin that needs to be registered. Can you provide a URL where you are seeing this?

Also, looking at your previous post where FMPHost said 

"It turns out the Scribe plugin also needed to be enabled in the FileMaker Server Admin Console. We have enabled the plugin, so it should be working now."

The plugin that shows in the FMS Admin Console is not the plugin that will be used for Web Direct. The plugin listed in the Admin Console is for use with Server scheduled scripts and with the Perform Script on Server script step. As Nick posted, FMPHost needs to confirm that the plugin is installed at FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/Plugins and the web publishing engine has been restarted once it has been installed there. Once they have confirmed that, you can run a script that calls Get(InstalledFMPlugins) from a Web Direct environment to confirm the plugin is installed and enabled for Web Direct. The script step should return 360Works Scribe;3.08;Enabled if everything is working.

4 hours ago, ryan360Works said:

The plugin file is the same regardless of what level your license is. Being on shared server will not impact registration because every script that is run in a web direct or server side script that has plugin function calls will spawn a new instance of the plugin that needs to be registered. Can you provide a URL where you are seeing this?

Also, looking at your previous post where FMPHost said 

The plugin that shows in the FMS Admin Console is not the plugin that will be used for Web Direct. The plugin listed in the Admin Console is for use with Server scheduled scripts and with the Perform Script on Server script step. As Nick posted, FMPHost needs to confirm that the plugin is installed at FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/Plugins and the web publishing engine has been restarted once it has been installed there. Once they have confirmed that, you can run a script that calls Get(InstalledFMPlugins) from a Web Direct environment to confirm the plugin is installed and enabled for Web Direct. The script step should return 360Works Scribe;3.08;Enabled if everything is working.

Thanks for the help.

FMPHost tell me:

"Yes, this is what I was afraid of. Scribe is killing WebD. I will remove the copy of the plugin from web publishing location. But, as you can see, it won't stay toggled on in the admin console. I had a customer back in November who had this exact issue and 360Works had to issue him a patched plugin."

any ideas?

This topic is 1869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.