Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how to let Webcompanion trigger a script?

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I'm using FileMaker 6.0 in combination with WebCompanion in order to have a website in which people can subscribe to our organization.

A visitor fills out a form, submits this. FileMaker creates a new record, and I want FileMaker to send a confirmation e-mail to the subscribed visitor.

Is it possible to have FileMaker automatically to trigger a script each time a new record has been entered?

Looking forward to your remarks...

with kind regards,

Rob

"Is it possible to have FileMaker automatically to trigger a script each time a new record has been entered?"

Yes.

However, the workaround necessary to overcome the single-thread nature of ScriptMaker and the problems related thereto [Edited by Moderator] hardly justify that approch.

With CWP it is not necessary. It can be accomplished with MailTo tags, found in the reference db.

I was wondering about this too, because I had read somewhere here that triggering scripts via WC isn't a good idea. I think I am learning this the hard way because my online registration database, running under FM Unlimited 6.0 with all the updates in OS X.3, hangs with the spinnig beachball whenever traffic starts to get heavy.

Can someone explain (or point to threads) why this is so? I use the -script tag Garry mentioned to trigger an e-mail via the SMTPit plugin.

Keith, can you explain the "workarounds" and what CWP is?

Also, you should look into PHP (free) or Lasso. They are far easier to use than CDML (imho), offer much more functionality, and are more secure. These technologies can save you the time of finding work arounds for CDML short comings. If you look into PHP be sure to check out the FX.php class available at www.iviking.org, which makes it easy to talk to FileMaker from PHP.

I don't believe there is an advantage to learning CDML first and then moving onto PHP or Lasso. I think it would be the best use of your time to begin directly with PHP or Lasso, which work in the very standard web paradigm, than learn CDML which works differently than any other middleware and is much more limited (often leading you to build elaborate work-arounds in client JavaScript).

Either way, there will be lots of people here to help you on your way.

Vaughan is absolutely right. No scripts are necessary. We are using that for five years. Everything is just plain vanilla CDML.

Mariano has a good point as well.

The exception will be that your solution is simple and doesn't require bulletproof security. Then you can start with CDML and when your solution outgrows the CDML and you need strong middleware, redo your solution in Lasso or PHP.

HTH

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.