Scrolling Text Fields

This topic is 7161 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a text field that logs information from a serial plug-in. The contents will always extend beyond the field, so there is a vertical scroll bar. The problem is that the field defaults to display at the top, while the log information is added to the bottom.

Does anyone know of a way to force a text field to default display at the bottom (i.e. scrolled down), even while the user accesses other fields?

Thanks!

Hi David,

I'm not quite sure what Ugo has in mind.

If it were me, I modify my files using one the techniques shown in these files by John Mark Osborne. You can download a copy of them from his site at this URL:

http://www.databasepros.com/resources.html

Notes Log

Scripted Notes Log

HTH

Lee

You need to probably work you way to it my first going to the Resource, and then do a Find.

cool.gif

David,

Didn't you see the two files I named "Notes Log" and "Scripted Notes Log" in my earlier post.?

All you have to do, is to go to the site, and do a search for "Notes Log" and it returns those two files, along with some others. Besure that they are [color:"red"]Not the v7 ones.

Lee wink.gif

OK - got it! I'm a little slow today.

Interesting...but I have to make this field look more like what you'd see with Hyperterm or Terminal.

I might try something like this: create a second file with a record for each line of text that comes in. Each record has a serial number. In the main layout of the first file, set up a relation to the second file and stack up fields for the lines to display, as though it was a text window, along with associated (hidden) numeric fields to key the relation. Instead of a scrollbar, the user would click arrow-shaped buttons to "scroll" up and down, and the layout would reprogram the numeric fields. Since we can't "click and hold" a button for continuous scrolling, I can place a button and script to scroll one line at a time, and another to scroll maybe 20 lines.

In this approach, the layout controls where the "cursor" is, although the user's experience won't be quite what he's used to with a terminal emulator.

On the other hand, this might be a great problem for a plug-in to solve...

This topic is 7161 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.