Multiple Files Slow to Open

This topic is 6710 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I recently took the company files from FM6 to FM7/8. There is an opening script and after tracing through it I located the problem to one particular script that opens all these files. I already cleaned up all the duplicate file references.

This process of opening all the files took about 7 seconds to complete in FM6 but with both Fm7 and FM8 it now takes 43 seconds. Merging files with tables is not an option right now because of the tight deadline. I will leave that project for another day.

Eventually this solution will be hosted remotely, but as of right now it is only local to my PC for development.

I also deleted the .tmp files already.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure about the standard edition, but the Advance has a couple of new tools, that I believer eliminates this need. Look in the Main Menu, Tools, File Maintenance.

Lee

I already cleaned up all the duplicate file references.

That isn't necessarily sufficient, there might be stored path information highly irrelevant. Get rid of it all and repoint it all to present locations, from the relations definition. But be carefull a lot of scripts looses focus by it, and needs ALL to be put back on the track again.

--sd

Hi Soren,

This was already done. I repointed all duplicate paths to one new relative path. There were no dead links in the scripts because I ran a DDR and searched all duplicate references and pointed them to the correct one.

Hmmmm... Running the file Maintenance sped it up slightly. It shaved off about 10 seconds. So now it takes a little over 30 secs to open all the files; where in FM6 it took 6-8 secs.

I opened each file up individually to see if any were taking a long time to open and non of them were excessive. Its only when they are opened by the one script.

Baffled here.

Could this be a Font issue by chance.

A few months back, there was a discussion(s) about how FileMaker changed how it dealt with Fonts from v6 to v7/8. The Fonts have to be active now.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Well that is an interesting point, however, the solution only is using Verdana and Arial. There really isnt any weird unusual fonts.

I will try and find that old post anyway.

Thanks again.

This topic is 6710 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.