Refreshing Home Page And Static Pages.

This topic is 8579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It's not FileMaker Pro doing this. It could be:

1) your browser cache

2) a web cache run by your ISP or network

In both cases click reload or refresh. MSIE is a real PITA it refuses to reload, to make its display performance look good.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

It's not FileMaker Pro doing this. It could be:

1) your browser cache

2) a web cache run by your ISP or network

In both cases click reload or refresh. MSIE is a real PITA it refuses to reload, to make its display performance look good.

True, plus WebCompanion IS caching records from database for web. If the data are submitted from web to WC, the data are current. If you update data in FM directly by TCP at remote server, the data are shown in your local FM, but the change is show on web through HTML later, approx. after 10 minutes.

BTW, MSIE can be forced to reload page by holding down Ctrl (or Shift?) and pressing Refresh.

Another way I have found is to always use the -view command to access the page, this seems to make web companion always get the new page. It is advisable I think to use this as if you change your page on the internet then every one accessing the page through a browser will get the old one as well unless they do a cache dump. Using -view will always ensure that people get the new changes.

Simon

Sorry, could somebody explain this 10 minute wait?

In my experience, as soon as new data is in a database Web Companion will use it. Of course, any pages already served *won't* display the new data until the page is requested again, but that's how the web works, it's not a Web Companion thing.

Now, if a cache is sitting between the browser and Web Companion then things are more complicated. This is where the original question came in.

quote:

Sorry, could somebody explain this 10 minute wait?

I dunno why it is. I was surprised and almost tear all wires.

We have absolutely no cache whatsoever between webserver and my client.

I saw new data in FM and old data in 4 browsers on Windows NT and PowerMac. I've closed and opened all browsers, FileMakers, emptied caches 10 times, and I get mad...

That sounds like a cache problem, because I haven't seen anything like it.

Actually, I can tell you that there is no "wait" or "lag" because I have built a site that lets people add comments, and the newly-added comments are instantly available. Instantly, that is, once the browser has refeshed itself from the site and not just dragged up the last view from the browser cache.

http://138.25.32.40/gallery/index.html

Click on a subject, click on a thumbnail, leave a comment, go back and browse the page to see if it is there. Might need to tell the browser to reload, but that's not Web Companion's problem.

No, no, no.

HTML update IS INSTANT.

This delay occurs only, if you update remote server from local FileMaker Client. In that case I see new data on local Client from remote FM Unlimited running on remote server and OLD data on the same machine/s for some period in time in all browsers.

The application should work from the RAM cache if there is one.

I don't have the same setup as you Anatoli, so I cannot confirm. If those are the symptoms you are getting then something somewhere is caching the pages and not refreshing them correctly.

(This stuff reminds me of the trouble and strife that occurred when the Macintosh II was released, with the new-fangled 68020 caches...)

Anatoli

I just had a thought: check your *browser* preferences and turn off all proxy stuff, then try it again. Maker sure you reload/refresh the pge each time. Check the browser preferences, set it to compare the page to the network every time.

I still think it's some sort of cache. I just dunno where though. Might even be your ISP?

quote:

Anatoli

I just had a thought: check your *browser* preferences and turn off all proxy stuff, then try it again. Maker sure you reload/refresh the pge each time. Check the browser preferences, set it to compare the page to the network every time.

I still think it's some sort of cache. I just dunno where though. Might even be your ISP?

Everything was always off and I had direct line through masquerade and not proxy.

I was not desperate, when this happened in April 2000. I just accepted that as "one of those things".

Never had real problem with that.

So I've run the same test again and everything is OK now. We have switched in August to FM 5 Unlimited. Maybe that is why it works OK now.

Our KPNQwest (fastest in Europe) never admitted they have any cache ON.

Long topic, isn't it?

This topic is 8579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.